+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice required - Diode replacement/Servicing SET amplifier

I'm Malcolm.

Default Advice required - Diode replacement/Servicing SET amplifier

I have the opportunity to purchase a SET tube amplifier that I've been looking for a long long long time

The dealer acquired it from one of his customers but does not know the full service history and given that the amplifier is now approaching 20 years old I have asked him to get it checked over before making a decision.

I understand that this particular amplifier although reputedly reliable suffers from an age related fault. Due to high voltage requirements in these amplifiers the diodes reach their age limits and then fail. When they do fail they normally damage several other components associated with them. I believe there are approximately 8 diodes in this model which may be prone to failure. If the diodes are not replaced prior to failure then the cost of repair and associated damage caused can run to several hundred pounds.

The dealer says he has had their service department thoughtfully checked it yesterday and they confirmed that almost certainly that the unit has never opened until yesterday. They also checked most of the electrical elements and nothing seems to be changed, which seems to indicate its never been serviced or repaired in the past. The service technician suggests not to change something (i.e. replace diodes) that do not need change as the are working ok. In other words if it aint broke don't fix it approach.

The dealer has offered to replace all the diodes if I so wish

What is peoples opinion on this, should I leave well alone?
    Are there any other key things I should asked to be checked or possibly replaced?

I'm Jez.

It should be fine as it is.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Malcolm.

Thanks Jez

I missed your reply as the thread has been moved here, why I have no idea

+ Reply to Thread