+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Croft pre-amps differences.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah worked out cheaper then!

I'm Richard.

I recently bought an old Micro II off a kind member here (thanks again Alan if you're reading!). I emailed Glenn for some advice and he responded quickly with good/free advice with no thought of financial gain.

I was so impressed with his service levels I ended up shipping it straight to him for a once over and to update it to latest output stage spec. He received it yesterday and contacted me in the evening saying it was done and would I like him to change the noisy/microphonic ECC83s - I proceeded as his choice was the same as mine (JJs), and at a price better than I could get them for!

It's being collected Monday by UPS - can't wait to hook it up and have a listen! I've been running DIY modified Chinese pre's up until now; I started with a Marantz 7 cct clone (whatever that is, bore no relation to any Marantz cct I ever saw!) to which I fitted decent selector & volume controls, rewired with star-point earthing and fitted some decent tubes.

I happily used this for a year or two, but it was line level only and when the opportunity arose to get a Yaqin MS-12B I took it to try the valve phono stage. This has been a revelation compared to the Naim cards I was using before, much preferable to my ears - the Yaqin is still stock except for some decent tubes. While vinyl sounds better than my previous valve pre and Naim phono cards, line level is not as good - I initially intended to rebuild the Yaqin, but then the Micro came up.

I suspect this will offer me all I need (and hopefully more) at reasonable cost (both purchase price and service costs from Glenn).

Has anyone compared sound from a Chinese preamp and a Croft Micro?

Sorry, long rambling post!

Richard

I'm jan.

Hi Marco

Very nice Croft Charisma, can you tell me is the line stage with anode follower or cathode follower.?

Just because i just ordre a Croft Series 7, and my old Croft epoch is with a cathode follower. The cathode follower is more reclining (soft)
    Maybe the Anode follower suit the serie 7 better.

best jan

best jan

I'm Lars.

How did the A/B'ing go, Marco?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234