+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mains lead for Quad 306

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A posh mains lead is as worthy or worthless on a Quad 306 as it might be on any other amplifier.
    My point wasn't intended as a technical one, more one of "brand alignment" or a lack of.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Martin.

Wasn't it PW who maintained for years that capacitors all sounded the same and then had to recant when it was demonstrated to him that they didn't?

Or am I getting mixed up with someone else?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Wasn't it PW who maintained for years that capacitors all sounded the same and then had to recant when it was demonstrated to him that they didn't?

Or am I getting mixed up with someone else?
    Wouldn't have been Jez would it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

It's news to me In the majority of circumstances capacitors do sound very similar though... It's only in certain fairly critical positions in the circuit that they can sound quite different Even then, once one has had a "revelatory moment" from going from electrolytics to polypropylene don't expect a further one by going to "boutique" brand capacitors. If anyone has any questions about this.... don't bother
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

IIRC it was something to do with 303 amplifier, people had modded it and improved it and told QUAD about it but PW was dismissive until he had a demo and realised the difference was substantial. Not sure if it was just a change of capacitors. Someone like Dave DSJR or maybe Beobloke might recall the details. But I think QUAD then amended the spec for future 303s accordingly.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IIRC it was something to do with 303 amplifier, people had modded it and improved it and told QUAD about it but PW was dismissive until he had a demo and realised the difference was substantial. Not sure if it was just a change of capacitors. Someone like Dave DSJR or maybe Beobloke might recall the details. But I think QUAD then amended the spec for future 303s accordingly.
    Again that's news to me... It may be right but I've never heard even a rumour of any update to the factory 303 due to them realising some sort of component change was worthwhile on SQ grounds before now...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

I may have some or maybe all of the facts wrong. But There was definitely a thing with PW and the caps on the 303
    Current Lash Up:

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's hard to come up with a brand less suitable for a fancy mains lead than Quad! I say this as a 306 owner. What would Peter Walker have said....
    Peter walker would be turning In his grave If he knew what I've done/am doing to his 306.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Matt , try a couple of mains cables for yourself . If Jerrys Nordost cable doesn't work for you I would certainly contact Mark Grant or David at MCRU . Both are very helpful and know their stuff .
    IMO there's a strong possibility that you will get an improvement in SQ with at least one of these mains leads .
    I'm not really expecting to hear a difference but It's something I've not tried before, so why not give It a go.

There have been plenty of occasions where I should not have heard a difference but have (not always for the better either), so I tend to trust my own ears now.

I'm Andrew.

I have a few meteres of orange Qualcast mower power lead if your interested! Real Quad heads will understand the joke.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast