+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How knowledgeable are hi fi sales staff overall?

I'm Alex.

Default How knowledgeable are hi fi sales staff overall?

I've been frequenting various hi fi shops recently, looking for ways to improve my audio chain. Been chatting with the sales staff, asking questions.

What strikes me is the discrepancy I've been hearing from various 'experts'. Often times, what one sales guy claims is being denied by another sales guy (in a different shop, of course).

That made me wonder -- how competent overall are those sales guys? Do they know (are the expected to know) a lot of facts, or are they just expected to bullshit their clientele?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Paul.

Maybe they believe it because they stock the products and listen to them every day.

If you worked in the Levi's Store you'd probably think their jeans are better than, say, the ones they sell down the road in Diesel or across the mall in Gap.

I think the most you can hope for is a store that presents products according to what the client tells them they're looking for, their budget, room size, musical tastes, etc and lets the customer decide for themselves.

Then there's the consideration that customers already find themselves attracted to certain brands and go to the dealers that stock them so they're halfway there anyway.

I think the only way to be totally honest is in a used hi-fi store which stocks any and all brands regardless.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

Why would you suppose dealer sales staff might be 'experts'?

Many of them could have little or no training and may only have been in the job a short while and picked up little real knowledge.

Some dealers use good people, but lets face it, those are probably hard to come by.

I think you are more likely to get well informed opinion here.

You wouldn't believe the crap I've had told to me at dealers. When they realise they are confronted by somebody who actually knows their stuff, they tend to spot another customer who requires immediate assistance and move away .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why would you suppose dealer sales staff might be 'experts'?

Many of them could have little or no training and may only have been in the job a short while and picked little real knowledge up.

Some dealers use good people, but lets face it, those are probably hard to come by.

I think you are more likely to get well informed opinion here.
    No doubt. But what I cannot get here is the ability to sit down and listen to the recommended components. The only reason I go to the brick-and-mortar stores it to be able to evaluate different configurations side by side. However, if the staff are not knowledgeable, they won't be able to demonstrate the right configuration, so it'll end up being a waste of everyone's time.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Matt.

Like any other sphere, some know more than others. Some good some bad.
    Then again, you will get customers who just want to go to a shop to show off how much they know.
    A bit like going to a restaurant & telling the chef how you cooked your meal last night!
    I know people who work in Hifi stores who go to manufacturers for training & also have visits from reps to update new products.

Then again, all the tech knowledge in the world is no good whatsoever if they can't talk to customers & are rude, with no people skills. It would be easy to baffle a new customer with tech info about streaming, for instance without effective communication skills.

I'm Grant.

A good retailer will give sensible advice, even if he doesnt stock it or doesnt get the sale from it. The swings and roundabouts hopefully will kick in somewhere along the line and he will get his reward.
    also a good retailer will stock what he thinks is best. Its unfortunately the case that some just stock and push the stuff they are going to make most cash on. A short term outlook
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Last time I was in a Hi Fi shop was at least thirty years ago. It was a large and famous store in London, and I got the distinct impression the staff there were talking a load of bollocks, and seemed only interested in pushing the 'flavour of the month'. I should add that at the time most dealers were influenced by, and under, the hegemony of the Linn-Naim axis.

These days I do feel some sympathy with dealers - they have to invest a fair amount in the stock they hold, only to find that after taking time to demonstrate the kit to an interested customer, the customer says "Thank you" and goes and buys the kit on-line, thus undercutting the dealer and wasting his time.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Last time I went in a Richer Sounds shop, there was not one sales assistant who had a clue. That was a while back. Maybe things have improved?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Did you work in a Hi-Fi shop in your youth, Geoff?

S.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Did you work in a Hi-Fi shop in your youth, Geoff?

S.
    Nope!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast