+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Google listening to us?

I'm Rich.

Default is Google listening to us?

After an anecdotal chat with a friend, about ads that appeared on his browser for products he was discussing (but not searching the net for) with his wife, I did an internet search to see if there was any possibility that it could be more than just coincidence. It turns out there is a lot of very similar stories out there, and a Google product that records everything we say for the purposes of fine tuning our internet usage.

If this is the case, are you comfortable with it happening? Is it just the way digital life is these days or is it nothing more than paranoid conspiracy theory ramblings?

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Martin.

Had a look but other than it recording voice-activated searches, which I'd expect, I can't see that they are recording conversations in your home. That would be illegal under UK law.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Google must be admiring my earthy language

S.

I'm Alex.

Not really used Google search for years, use Duckduckgo: https://duckduckgo.com/

I was probably one of the first users of Google at work (a big engineering company), very quickly most people in the company used it on their workstations.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

they follow what you search for on web and hit you with adverts for similar stuff. You can opt out but will then just get random stuff. most sites that sell do this. Amazon for instance ... if you search amazon the later are on web you will often find stuff yo were looking at being advertised on same page.
    As Martin says, your voice activated devices that have to go to cloud to fulfill request(ie all of them) store what your requests were, and can potentially be checked by cia etc. if it is just sitting on desk, it isnt recording, and thats why there is a opening command like alexa to wake it and for the unit to start recording your request. If paranoid there is a button on top to switch microphone off.

PS, most pc's dont actually have a microphone anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    they follow what you search for on web and hit you with adverts for similar stuff. You can opt out but will then just get random stuff. most sites that sell do this. Amazon for instance ... if you search amazon the later are on web you will often find stuff yo were looking at being advertised on same page.
    As Martin says, your voice activated devices that have to go to cloud to fulfill request(ie all of them) store what your requests were, and can potentially be checked by cia etc. if it is just sitting on desk, it isnt recording, and thats why there is a opening command like alexa to wake it and for the unit to start recording your request. If paranoid there is a button on top to switch microphone off.

PS, most pc's dont actually have a microphone anyway
    Not having mics on PCs was my first thought, but then it occured to me that everyone I know has a laptop. I did see a guardian article about listening software being installed without notice by Google.

I am aware ads are based on browsing history, that makes sense in many ways. I can't really believe they could be allowed to listen to a room, even if it is only ever going to be heard by software. I find myself stuck between feeling naive enough to believe it could happen and dismissing it as myth.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Geoff.

I clear my browsing history every day.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

This thread prompted me to look at app permissions on my android phone and there it is; Google has access to my telephone, microphone, sms texts, contacts and others.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Virkon View Post
    This thread prompted me to look at app permissions on my android phone and there it is; Google has access to my telephone, microphone, sms texts, contacts and others.
    That, and this.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...out-permission

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Virkon View Post
    Precisely why I'd never make anything that runs android a permanent fixture in my life.

Or log into google. Ever. Even if I did have all forms of tracking switched off (which I do anyway as I once had to set up an account to run an android phone for a few weeks when I was travelling in Asia and my iPhone would take any local sim).

I don't have Facebook and I minimise location tracking on all iPhone apps. I use as blocking, popup blocking and use an app to prevent most apps from 'phoning home' from my Mac laptop.

You really can't be too careful of your privacy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast