+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They want to protect us from killer robots.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    these are special robo dalek buns tho; once eaten the exterminate from within
    I think that's probably just indigestion.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Here's a bun pun

Macca will eat them all for his 6am breakfast

S.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    This is well worth reading (it's in two parts)...and very, very scary indeed.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artif...olution-1.html

Tony
    He contradicts himself though. First he says that people a lot smarter than us say it is going to happen, later he says that the difference in intelligence between Einstein and the village idiot is next to nothing. He reckons progress is exponential but then admits that 1995 to 2005 saw a lot more progress than 2005 to present. That shouldn't happen with the model he is presenting. There should have been much more progress. We're no closer to proper AI than we were in 1750.

Let's face it they can't even build an operating system that has no glitches; IT at work crashes all the time and that's fairly simple stuff like databases and e-mail. If I was pursued by a killer robot I'd just hide until it had a run time error or lost its internet connection. I'm not that scared.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He contradicts himself though. First he says that people a lot smarter than us say it is going to happen, later he says that the difference in intelligence between Einstein and the village idiot is next to nothing. He reckons progress is exponential but then admits that 1995 to 2005 saw a lot more progress than 2005 to present. That shouldn't happen with the model he is presenting. There should have been much more progress. We're no closer to proper AI than we were in 1750.

Let's face it they can't even build an operating system that has no glitches; IT at work crashes all the time and that's fairly simple stuff like databases and e-mail. If I was pursued by a killer robot I'd just hide until it had a run time error or lost its internet connection. I'm not that scared.
    you forgot its S shaped increase(that covers everything)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

I think that's probably just indigestion.

I'm Shaun.

The very first big computer controlled piece of lab equipment I ever used was a prototype reaction calorimeter and it constantly crashed due to watchdog errors. At the time we spent a good deal of time manually integrating areas under curves,
    the bloody thing.

This was though back in 1985 and it was controlled by a DEC LSI/11.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 21-08-2017 at 15:09. Reason: Addition

I'm Tony.

I admire your self-confidence!
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    I admire your self-confidence!
    Well, I grew up with ZX81s and all that dodgy stuff, and nothing's any better now. If I'm working on a spreadsheet I still save after every change. But you often hear youngsters at work wailing that they have lost an hour's effort because the damn thing has seized up on them and 'autosave' has not done what it says on the tin.

Most IT people are just blagging it, they don't really have a clue. The few who do know their stuff all work for banks, investment houses and the like, making a few hundred grand a year just keeping it all from falling over. They aren't toiling away for peanuts on developing AI at some university research department.

When they can produce a reliable spreadsheet application then we can start worrying about supercomputers taking over the planet.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Back when I worked for a living, I was vaguely associated with university-based IT research. One bright idea that kept re-surfacing was to use 'clusters' of relatively low-powered computers linked together to form one massively powerful computer. The idea never really came to much, and the last time it was tried, some wag dubbed it 'Clusters Last Stand'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12