+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanted: Mpingo spacer for Denon 103

I'm Peter.

Interesting idea. My guess would be that paxolin would be more likely to 'couple' the cartridge and arm (vibrationally-speaking) and that balsa wood would be more likely to isolate / de-couple them. I suppose it'll depend on the density and stiffness of the balsa, too?
    I've always been intrigued by the Cartridgeman isolator, although never tried one, as it seems poor value for money to me.
    http://www.thecartridgeman.com/isolator.htm
    http://hifipig.com/the-cartridge-man-isolator/

Maybe start another thread in Analogue Art, Mark?

BTW, the carbon-fibre spacer that Jerry sent is working nicely

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Interesting idea. My guess would be that paxolin would be more likely to 'couple' the cartridge and arm (vibrationally-speaking) and that balsa wood would be more likely to isolate / de-couple them. I suppose it'll depend on the density and stiffness of the balsa, too?
    I've always been intrigued by the Cartridgeman isolator, although never tried one, as it seems poor value for money to me.
    http://www.thecartridgeman.com/isolator.htm
    http://hifipig.com/the-cartridge-man-isolator/

Maybe start another thread in Analogue Art, Mark?

BTW, the carbon-fibre spacer that Jerry sent is working nicely
    I guess the paxolin will be a better material, but I will see what I can do.
    Tightening the cartridge screws/bolts may be difficult with balsa as it would tend to crush the wood unless I can use some form of washer/plate to spread the 'compression'.

If I find it a raging success I'll drop something onto a new thread. If it isn't ....... I'll get me coat !

I'm gone.

Leave your coat be.
    I'd be very interested to know the result of the balsa wood adventure.
    I wouldn't worry about the tightening issue - loose coupling seems to go with the whole balsa wood concept.
    Fascinating.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl turner View Post
    Tightening the cartridge screws/bolts may be difficult with balsa as it would tend to crush the wood
    If you tighten a cartridge enough to crush a balsa spacer, then I'd say you would be overtightening. Cartridge bolts need to be nipped up firmly, but not brutally tight. It's not uncommon to see cartridges with cracked cases due to overtightening. I have three. Not done by me I might add. I generally use nylon bolts, as they will strip threads before any damage occurs elsewhere.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    ........I generally use nylon bolts, as they will strip threads before any damage occurs elsewhere.
    Great idea Geoff,
    Do you have a particular source for them ? (before I go off scouting through ebay)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl turner View Post
    Great idea Geoff,
    Do you have a particular source for them ? (before I go off scouting through ebay)
    No. I just scour ebay. M2.5 is what I go for. Lengths vary.

Sometimes I buy overlong ones and cut them down with a craft knife.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

This thread has been an inspiration to me. I have been way too tight to pay for those eBay spacers, and way too busy to make my own. But I have paxolin and some incredibly dense and hard old driftwood from NZ left over from an aborted project. And oak, and balsa! Ill get the dropsaw onto it and fashion some thicknesses of materials to start with.What thicknesses would you recommend for Peter's application (103 and SPU swapping) guys? Happy to send a few unfinished slices out if anyone else wants a play around, but you'll have to make them into the.right size yourself, just PM the thickness you'd like.☺

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234