+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering Peerless 830669 30Hz resonance

I'm Horacio.

"Better to select a driver that meets requirements to start with really". It is not that easy, Gradient used the Peerless 831812, made in Denmark, which has been discontinued years ago. Replacements were the 830500 and later the 831857, both drivers have been discontinued too.

The only choices are the 830845 and the 830669. Generally woofer and especially subwoofer drivers are designed for closed or bass reflex cabinets. Requirements for open baffle are different. Moving mass is one example. In a boxed design a given amount (usually very high in subwoofers) of moving mass is needed in order to get low cutoff frequency. In open baffle designs very low moving mass is of benefit, too high mass produces only harmful vibrations in baffle structure.

Parameters of 830845 look feasible for the SW-63, moving mass is on the high side and the radiating area of 830845 is slightly smaller than that of 830669. The displacement volume is not so much bigger than greater max. excursion indicates. On paper the 830845 should work fine, but Gradient still recommends the 830669. As you probably know, all Peerless drivers, including 830669 and 830845 are made in China, unfortunately, no more in Denmark for years.

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm matt.

This Is probably the best 12" woofer for open baffle use. Acoustic Elegance Dipole12 - Not cheap though.

I'm Horacio.

John Janowitz of AE tried to convince me to buy the Dipole 12-D8 at $339 a piece. The 12" AE driver is definitely more capable than the Peerless, but is not "higher quality", unless you define "quality" by price alone. Three Peerless will cost less than one AE and handily outperform it. The build quality on the Peerless is as high as the AE, it's just made at giant factories in China, vs hand made by one person here in US.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12