+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MeBob's System - for upgrade.

I'm Rob.

Hello Walpurgis & Ali Tait,

Thanks for your understanding and acceptance of my kit and I have to say with my kit I almost feel like a sinner come to repent when I see some of the kit owned by forum members.

Wallpurgis
    The 250 miles does seem like a bit of a marathon, it's a pity, but many thanks for the offer.

I'm Rob.

Hello MikeMusic,

I've pulled the trigger on a Tacima 6 way with Amazon. I didn't know a domestic electric supply could be so problematic.

I did have a Belkin surge protector, but nothing that filters interference.

I don't have my system on a rack it's just a PC Feeding my amp, the amp is on a shelf above my work desk and the speakers off to the sides on a shelf. It's probably not the best audiophile way of doing things, but I'm stuck with it for the time being.

Thanks for the tip on the Tacima, the cables will follow.

Rob

I'm Rob.

Hello Andy

My gut instincts have overcome the distances involved, I strongly suspect your system is probably not one to missed.

Firstly though, I'd like to take up the kind offers of a listen from the local lads, I'm also in the process of buying a new car (as well as Hifi) and once I've sorted myself out a trip over the wind swept moors won't seem so far.

Looking at your list of amplifiers, Quad is the only brand I recognise. I'm curious about the 606 amp, how does it sound in general and is it warm (how are the mid/treble)?

Thanks

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello Macca & oldius,

That generic Chinese dac/preamp is by far the weakest link in my system and I have to say I've done things the wrong way around and bought an amp when the source that feeds it is not up to standard.

The soundcard has a PCM passthrough mode via toslink for bit perfect copies, so I'm happy with that.

It's logical that I should make the source as good as I can and so as a priority I'm looking for a new Dac/Preamp and the Beresford Caimain seems to be mentioned a lot on the internet.

Oldius, I've noticed you have a Beresford Caiman II, used as a dac and preamp would this be a good buy to be used with more expensive upgrades later?

Thanks,
    Rob
    My son uses the Caiman II. I think it's a great value piece of kit and he uses it with some active studio monitors to great effect. I'd always recommend listening to kit in your home as upgrades can be expensive and not an upgrade!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello MikeMusic,

I've pulled the trigger on a Tacima 6 way with Amazon. I didn't know a domestic electric supply could be so problematic.

I did have a Belkin surge protector, but nothing that filters interference.

I don't have my system on a rack it's just a PC Feeding my amp, the amp is on a shelf above my work desk and the speakers off to the sides on a shelf. It's probably not the best audiophile way of doing things, but I'm stuck with it for the time being.

Thanks for the tip on the Tacima, the cables will follow.

Rob
    I have been amazed at the improvements in sound quality by tweaking the mains.
    My ears heard it but my logic says it cannot be such a difference, or any difference at all !

I got a TACIMA SC 5723 Mains Conditioning Plugone on Ebay for £12.
    Seemed worth the risk
    Worth a punt and staggered I could hear a difference as I already had some Russ Andrews boxes doing the same job
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Ok mate

Like I said no rush just drop me a line when your ready

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Jez.

I wouldn't bother messing with the mains mebob as it will make no difference whatsoever. Many others will tell you differently though....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I wouldn't bother messing with the mains mebob as it will make no difference whatsoever. Many others will tell you differently though....
    That was my thought too.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post

I've never really bothered with fancy mains blocks or posh mains leads and my system sounds just great.

Made a few moderately hefty screened mains leads. Heard no difference, so I don't bother now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I personally am not a cable believer but many are. It is the last place I would spend my money as it will make a smaller difference than the components in the chain.

Step 1 is the speakers and their interaction with the room.
    Step 2 is an ampifier capable of driving the speakers properly.
    Step 3 are source components to your taste.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast