+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MeBob's System - for upgrade.

I'm Rob.

I've been doing some research on amps and I'm curious about a few of the more vintage ones?

I've seen a few Quad 405-2 and 606s knocking around and I'm wondering what they sound like?

My Marantz PM6003 is musical and keeps a nice tempo but just a bit bright for my tastes. Would a Quad warm things a little while entertaining and have a nice sound stage?

Thanks

I'm gone.

Hi Rob

Unlike some of these other guys, I'm a bit far away to do the visit thing (although you would be very welcome to visit me in the lovely Forest of Dean).

But if you are interested in what various types and makes of amp will do I will be happy to loan you my Amptastic Mini-T - it's a class D amp (which may mean little to you, but they have a distinctive sound which appeals to many). It's not much bigger than a stacked pair of cigarette packets and even with its small power supply will fit in a small box that can be sent Royal Mail small packet rate for not much money at all.

I did a review a few years back for the Hifi Pig webzine to give you a better idea. http://hifipig.com/do-good-things-co...tastic-mini-t/

I'm happy to send you a loaner if you PM me your full name and address.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello oldius

As I've said in a previous post I do most of my listening up close up at lower volumes, all I really need to do is literally position myself a similar distance to your system and I'll know if it's a bingo moment. Echos and such don't really effect at lower volume levels

You've been so kind in offering the chance to come and hear your system, If there's any traveling to be done or effort to be put in, I'm happy to make the duty mine?
    I live by Sefton Park and I am at home most days for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure something can be arranged.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    I've been doing some research on amps and I'm curious about a few of the more vintage ones?

I've seen a few Quad 405-2 and 606s knocking around and I'm wondering what they sound like?

My Marantz PM6003 is musical and keeps a nice tempo but just a bit bright for my tastes. Would a Quad warm things a little while entertaining and have a nice sound stage?

Thanks
    If you are looking at Quad amps, don't forget the little 306. It's a very nice sounding unit with a decent 50 watts. And works well with a passive pre-amp, if need be.

'Warm' sounding amps? I dare say a NAD 3020, Cambridge A60 or Audiolab 8000 might fit the bill. They certainly aren't bright. Same with the Quad 303 power amp. They each have their following.

Personally, I regard them as a bit dull and prefer a more lucid sound. The clearer the better, but I don't mean bright or forward.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Hello jandl100,

Yes please, I've nothing to lose except maybe the cost of a couple of pints down at my local. Thanks.

I have to admiit though I'm struggling to get my head around how something so small can compete with a full sized amp. Maybe I'm under estimating what a talented engineer can do with modern electronics?

Thanks for the kind offer of a visit, but sadly it's a bit too far. There would have been two reasons to visit your beautiful part of the world, the first to meet you and listen to your Hifi and the second to bring a pair of binoculars and look up at the night sky to behold the Milky Way. Something that is an impossibility here in Liverpool.

I'll send you a message to sort out the details and postage costs.

I'm Rob.

oldius,

I'll message you later on, I'm not too far away from you.

I'm Rob.

walpurgis

It just goes to show how people have different ears.

I regard my Marantz PM6003 as neutral tending towards slight brightness, others have described it as warm.

You've described the Quad sound as 'dull', others as warm and detailed with excellent soundstage. I've seen one cheaply on ebay and was about to pull the trigger, but have backed off for now.

The different opinions can be a bit confusing I guess we all hear differently and the audition is all important?

I'm Geoff.

It's just the 303 I find a bit too 'cuddly' in nature (same goes for the 34 pre-amp). Other Quad amps are better to my ears and certainly not dull.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Listen to what everyone says then listen to the kit and what your ears tell you.
    Improving the mains is a huge step up. I was highly sceptical until I tried it

Try that Tacima in an unswitched socket for the best results.

Very happy to entertain you at my place but the distance is a bit much, unless you are going to Heathrow sometime, about 10 miles away.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Geoff.

My advice would also be to listen a lot before buying. There's little point for example buying a new amplifier when new speakers are on the horizon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast