+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MeBob's System - for upgrade.

I'm Rob.

Default MeBob's System - for upgrade.

Hello Andy, Allan, Zoidburg and Geoff,

Andy & Zoidburg

Yes, thanks I'm grateful for your offers of a listen I'd very much like to hear what a proper hifi system sounds like. If we could arrange for whenever is mutually convenient (I'm working some odd hours at the moment).

Andy, I've been online and had a look at your speakers, my compliments, they really do look like the serious business end of things!

Firebottle

It's an Arcam Alpha 10 power amp.

Firstly, it's probably best if I describe my present system, it will give you everyone an idea of where I'm at.

PC / Asus Zonar D1 soundcard-> generic chinese dac/preamp -> Marantz pm6003 -> Dali Zensor 3's/Mission 751Fs

I suspect there might be a few of you either cringing with disgust or having a good chuckle at that PC/soundcard Chinese dac arrangement (and why not?).

I listen to mainly Flacs and 320k mp3s and in all honesty for a budget end system it's good, the amp is very musical and reasonably detailed, while keeping a nice foot tapping tempo with the music. Both sets speakers allow the amp to shine.

Considering I paid £180 open box/new (Richersound) for the amp, £55 for the missions and £219 (new) for the Zensors I've cornered a few deals. Let's not mention the soundcard or Chinese dac.

I've used the word "shine" and I have to say sometimes it does too much of this in a bright sense. While listening to the Bob Dylan's "I want you", I feel like covering my ears to the harmonica solo at the start and while listening to classical music things can also get a little hazy/bright during complex pieces.

I'm definitely looking for a nudge to the warm side in my upgrades.

The Arcam Alpha 10P I mentioned above, I'm not sure if it's regarded as a decent piece of kit or not by this forum? For me though it was a clear step up from the Marantz. It was so much more composed, more detailed, better bass, slightly smoother treble / mids and much more of a 3D effect with instruments and vocals separated out. And the power really helps hearing detail and bass a lower volume levels.

There are a few minus points though, listening to Andre Rieu, Blue Danube, the Forever Vienna cd, this is a piece that ebbs and flows exquisitely, the amp managed to do this, but just backed off a little tempo wise when is should really have attacked the crescendos (like my Marantz does). The bass may be just slightly more than I expected, I'd probably become used to it.

The Arcam is my first real taste of HiFi (I believe) and something along these lines is what I'm looking for.

I do quite a lot of near field listening whilst working at a desk, we also have young children in the house and so the system needs to perform at lower volumes at night.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No cringing going on, lots of folk using a pc soundcard and dac. :-)

Welcome btw.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

You could have a listen to mine too, but I figure you wouldn't fancy a 250 mile drive!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    The Arcam Alpha 10P I mentioned above, I'm not sure if it's regarded as a decent piece of kit or not by this forum?
    Use what you like Rob. Any audio is respected here. We have no time for Hi-Fi snobbery. Although a top notch system is always appreciated (regardless of the huge dent in the bank account ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Rob

Trouble with Dylan's harmonica means distortion in the signal and I suspect the cause is the pre-amp section in your DAC.

That's where I would be looking to upgrade first and then the power amp next.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello Andy, Allan, Zoidburg and Geoff,

Andy & Zoidburg

Yes, thanks I'm grateful for your offers of a listen I'd very much like to hear what a proper hifi system sounds like. If we could arrange for whenever is mutually convenient (I'm working some odd hours at the moment).

Andy, I've been online and had a look at your speakers, my compliments, they really do look like the serious business end of things!

Firebottle

It's an Arcam Alpha 10 power amp.

Firstly, it's probably best if I describe my present system, it will give you everyone an idea of where I'm at.

PC / Asus Zonar D1 soundcard-> generic chinese dac/preamp -> Marantz pm6003 -> Dali Zensor 3's/Mission 751Fs

I suspect there might be a few of you either cringing with disgust or having a good chuckle at that PC/soundcard Chinese dac arrangement (and why not?).

I listen to mainly Flacs and 320k mp3s and in all honesty for a budget end system it's good, the amp is very musical and reasonably detailed, while keeping a nice foot tapping tempo with the music. Both sets speakers allow the amp to shine.

Considering I paid £180 open box/new (Richersound) for the amp, £55 for the missions and £219 (new) for the Zensors I've cornered a few deals. Let's not mention the soundcard or Chinese dac.

I've used the word "shine" and I have to say sometimes it does too much of this in a bright sense. While listening to the Bob Dylan's "I want you", I feel like covering my ears to the harmonica solo at the start and while listening to classical music things can also get a little hazy/bright during complex pieces.

I'm definitely looking for a nudge to the warm side in my upgrades.

The Arcam Alpha 10P I mentioned above, I'm not sure if it's regarded as a decent piece of kit or not by this forum? For me though it was a clear step up from the Marantz. It was so much more composed, more detailed, better bass, slightly smoother treble / mids and much more of a 3D effect with instruments and vocals separated out. And the power really helps hearing detail and bass a lower volume levels.

There are a few minus points though, listening to Andre Rieu, Blue Danube, the Forever Vienna cd, this is a piece that ebbs and flows exquisitely, the amp managed to do this, but just backed off a little tempo wise when is should really have attacked the crescendos (like my Marantz does). The bass may be just slightly more than I expected, I'd probably become used to it.

The Arcam is my first real taste of HiFi (I believe) and something along these lines is what I'm looking for.

I do quite a lot of near field listening whilst working at a desk, we also have young children in the house and so the system needs to perform at lower volumes at night.

Thanks,

Rob
    Evening Rob,

I'm in Halewood so probably not too far from you. I've some work going on in my living room at the mo but should be sorted back end of next week and il have things up and running again. Drop me a pm and we'll try and arrange something.

P's I'm just listening to a dylan "best of" on my system at the mo, not a hint of "hands over ears" here
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Mike.

I'd start at the front end.
    That for me is the mains. Unswitched socket or bank thereof.
    Plug in mains filter like a Tacima nice and cheap.
    Good mains cable or two.
    Rack, supports like RDC cones.
    Nice cheap granite placemat or similar on any kit that will take it.
    All of these can stay or upgrade when you upgrade the rest
    My Arcam Alpha amp and Pioneer CD player responded well to all of those

Then I'd work through each piece of kit
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Hi Rob

Nothing wrong with Budget Hi Fi provided you get the set up right. I use a modest solid state system if I am writing reports or working while listening, its comprises a Vortex box into a Squeezebox touch into a Quad 34 into Quad 606 using Q Acoustic 3020 speakers all in probably cost no more than £750.00 total. I took some care with the set up and to be honest I do sometimes question why I have the big system (until you turn the big system on, then you appreciate the difference) The point is that Hi Fi is often not a ten minute fix, its constantly evolving thing as you introduce different components into the mix. Remember most of us have been evolving our systems for years and years always searching for that final peice of the jigsaw which of course we never find

I am not exactly on your doorstep mate but if you fancy a run out you would be very welcome, I work from home so can be flexible if you find you have a morning or an afternoon spare then chances are I will be available, I also have a listening room dedicated to the Hi Fi so there is no interferance with daily life LOL.

I will drop you a PM with my postcode so you can investigate whether or not it would be worth your while coming along given that some of the lads offering you a listen and a helping hand will be much more local. But its your choice, my experiance suggests the more stuff you get to hear the more you will know what you want to try and acheive at your own place.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Rob.

Hello Macca & oldius,

That generic Chinese dac/preamp is by far the weakest link in my system and I have to say I've done things the wrong way around and bought an amp when the source that feeds it is not up to standard.

The soundcard has a PCM passthrough mode via toslink for bit perfect copies, so I'm happy with that.

It's logical that I should make the source as good as I can and so as a priority I'm looking for a new Dac/Preamp and the Beresford Caimain seems to be mentioned a lot on the internet.

Oldius, I've noticed you have a Beresford Caiman II, used as a dac and preamp would this be a good buy to be used with more expensive upgrades later?

Thanks,
    Rob

I'm Rob.

Hello Zoidburg

Good things are always worth waiting for. I'll send you a message after the weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast