+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GRACE: A viable F9E replacement?

I'm Howard.

Default GRACE: A viable F9E replacement?

Last edited by Barry; 18-08-2017 at 13:26. Reason: Link url corrected
    Well, hello.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The suggested alternative of a Decca cartridge certainly attracts controversy! I used to run a Grace F15E, but unfortunately broke the boron cantilever. Since Grace are now no longer in business, I replaced the F15 stylus with one designed for the F9E with success. This of course doesn't answer the question, but to go back to Decca cartridges, I would say that the Decca (either a Mk.III, upgraded Mk.V or Mk.VI) is the only fixed-coil cartridge to be a permanent alternative in my system - and I would concur with everything "topoxforddoc" says.

Of the other fixed coil designs (I'm not going to be drawn into the pedantry of whether they are moving magnet, induced magnet, moving iron, variable reluctance etc. designs), I can thoroughly recommend the old high compliance ADC designs, the B&O MMC designs and the AKG P8ES.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

I had an F9E for a short while.... it suffered a disaster! There was a stupid fad at the time for cleaning styli using the striker from safety matches, which was endorsed by Linn and several of the mags, and so, being a daft 20 year old at the time, this is how I cleaned the stylus of my new and very expensive Grace F9E (£128 in 1985 IIRC but that is completely from memory). I recall it being a stunningly good MM, one of the best ever, but after about 3-4 months use it seemed to have really "gone off"... I took it to a local hi fi shop who had a stylus magnifier and they told me it was completely worn out
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Howard.

Default I used a Sonus Blue with a verey high compliance but ....

but it needed a tone arm with a very low effective mass. I used an Air Tangent with some success but probably would have done better with a Mayware Formula 4.

Verey should, od course read very. Ho hum.

And od should, of course, read of

It's time i went home.

Neil
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread