+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello all I'm newish to HiFi and wanting to make the move away from budget end kit.

I'm Rob.

Red face Hello all I'm newish to HiFi and wanting to make the move away from budget end kit.

Hello All,

For the past 5 years I've been paying attention to my hifi kit, but at the budget end, I've been buying various speakers and amps off fleabay and trying different combinations.

My music choices are eclectic, everything from Springsteen (the none commercial stuff), Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Cowboy Junkies, First Aid Kit, The Jam, Motown, Stax, 70's disco and way across the way to Mozart!

I've done quit well off fleabay and few open boxes deals and have been listening to a reasonable sound for not much money, but now I'm looking to upgrade out of the budget end.

I've just bought my first 100w power amp (used) of fleabay... WOW what an improvement over my 45w! But it's already ended in tears, it give up after 45 mins, red flashing lights came on and that was that.

I want to try again though and that's why I've come to this site to learn and to find where my biggest bang for the bucks are?

Regards,
    Rob
    Last edited by meBob; 18-08-2017 at 11:07.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Hi Rob

Like most on here and the other forums you seem to have eclectic musical tastes.

Before parting with any more hard earned, you need to find out what your want from your system and whether thats going to be best supplied using valves and sensitive speakers or whether solid state is your bag.

Plenty of lads within striking distance of merseyside who I am sure would be happy to let you have a listen to their system before you go and make a mistake and buy what you really did not want.

As an opening offer, I am not right on your doorstep, but I am about 60 mile from Liverpool and would be delighted to let you hear both flea power single ended valve amps into sensitive speakers and 140 watt transitor watts into standmounts , if you fancy a run out, just bring your favourite LP or Cd so you can judge what your hearing, drop me a PM if you fancy it.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    ...... it give up after 45 mins, red flashing lights came on and that was that.
    Hi Rob and welcome to AoS.

Your amplifier may just have gone into protection mode if I am reading between the lines correctly.

What is the make and model? Also what speakers did you have hooked up?

Cheers,
    Alan

I'm Ben.

Welcome on board, I'm based in Liverpool too.

Over the last 6 or 7 years after reading a lot of forums and attending a few bake-offs my system has changed hugely. I've still not spent masses of cash but I think I've generally bought well and in terms of what I'm hearing my system is in a different league now.

Happy to demo my gear to give you an idea, just drop me a PM.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Rob. Welcome to AOS.

As you've seen, our members are a friendly bunch, so take a look around the site and join in with any chat that interests you.

Why not start your own system blog in the Gallery section and tell us about your system and what you have in mind for it, bung a few photos up too. Then if you have upgrade plans, everybody can give an opinion.

If you want to ask about equipment in general, the Blank Canvas area is a good place to start.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Hello Andy, Allan, Zoidburg and Geoff,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies.

Taking the advice of Geoff I've started a thread in the gallery, where I will reply to the questions asked in this section and unload my HiFi woes onto thee!

It's entitled: meBob's System – For Upgrade.

Thanks

I'm Geoff.

Liverpool based and happy to help. Geoff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Ben.

[QUOTE=oldius;890085]Liverpool based and happy to help. Geoff.

Geoff is deffinately one of the good guys, he stages a mighty good bake off occasionally too
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Rob.

Hello oldius,

Your little mate in the picture is a stunner!

Thanks for your offer, I'm grateful.

And looking at yours (and others) kit, I'm starting to feel like a bit of Dellboy turning up in a 3 wheeler to a Bentley owners club!

On the advice of the moderator I've started a thread in the gallery and asked you a question there.

Thanks

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS Rob
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread