+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FS; Dad's old hifi (Linn, Ortofon, Vertex, Nordost, ANT, and more)

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    AE1's need top quality stands too.
    Positioning is another challenge.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    Because my current amp doesn't have an output for a power amp
    The Quad 909 should be rather good with the AE1's and it will work well with a passive pre-amp, which need not be expensive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Whereabouts in south cheshire is the kit located?

I'm Russell.

I fully understand your reasons for keeping your rig, and just changing the speakers. It may turn out great?

But! If it were me, I'd sell my stuff, and keep your Dad's stuff. And buy a CD player, and tuner to go with it, with the money from selling your kit. But that's just me, I don't blame you one bit for not doing that, it's a lot of trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    Whereabouts in south cheshire is the kit located?
    Just outside Crewe @Bourney - easy access from the M6 Jn17 (to the extent that any journey is "easy" on the M6!).

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    But! If it were me, I'd sell my stuff, and keep your Dad's stuff. And buy a CD player, and tuner to go with it, with the money from selling your kit. But that's just me, I don't blame you one bit for not doing that, it's a lot of trouble.
    The value in his hifi was the TT. I'm not going to go back to vinyl, hence little point me keeping the TT, nor the phono pre-amp.

I'm reasonably happy with what I've got at the moment (old Sony CD, recent Marantz amp, Sonos Connect), as it serves my purposes. I borrowed the speakers to see what they'd be like as they always sounded good where he had them. They certainly sounded better than what I had before (AE Aegis 3) and are also somewhat smaller, which is a good thing.

I realise that I'm not optimising the AE1s without the power amp, but then they're also compromised by placement constraints which won't be easy to resolve. So there doesn't seem a lot of point in re-jigging my set up to incorporate a power amp when that won't resolve all the issues.

At least, that was my thinking.

I'm James.

I think you're doing the right thing personally. I have the Mk3 version of the AE1 which is different so maybe this is irrelevant but mine work surprisingly well with the most unlikely amps, from a 1.5w flea amp (quietly!) through a Linear A to a 250w muscle amp, all clearly different. Yes, for belting it out watts are king, but for realistic volumes I don't think any reasonable solid state amp should be rejected. Enjoy your new speakers and good luck with the sale

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    Just outside Crewe @Bourney - easy access from the M6 Jn17 (to the extent that any journey is "easy" on the M6!).
    I'm in Stoke so a500 for me

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    I'm in Stoke so a500 for me
    Handy!

I'm Steve.

If the quad has its box and is as tidy as it looks, I'll take it and collect from Crewe, Tony. Always wanted to try one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast