+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New toy - Jolida JD9 MKII

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    I'm extremely happy with my Jolida glass DAC, which has been modded with different valves, caps etc.
    I'd put it in the "giant-killer" category.
    If the Jolida Phono stage is of equivalent quality, I'd say you could well be on to a winner.
    I'll be interested in your thoughts.
    Enjoy.
    Oooh. A Jolida DAC?! I'll have a look into that. The phonostage is best described by saying : I keep sitting here listening and don't want to stop. It's very engaging and morish.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Matt.

Jolida glass mkIII DAC.
    I had it modded with different caps & ck5755 tubes, along with their adaptors.
    It doesn't have a remote control & on the USB input, it doesn't do hi res rates.
    BUT, it just sounds great. Vocals, bass, sweet top end, loads of detail & micro detail, fantastic sound stage etc etc etc.
    In standard form, it is/was about £500 new & the mods added about £250, iirc.
    I am familiar with the Weiss DAC, at over 3 times the price of my Jolida. It is an excellent piece of equipment. But listening to the two back to back, I don't think the Jolida is lacking.
    Quite rare, but worth tracking down if you can!
    Anyway, back to the phono stage.................

Bigman80 Guest

Indeed!

So input welcome here.

I have attached a pic of the loading options etc and it's currently set on medium gain output, 100 ohm and no Pico Fared. Would any change that for a ZYX Bloom R50?

I'm Grant.

dont see the pic oli?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

That's because I didn't add it lol. Doh!

I'm Alan.

I'd go for the 300 ohm load Oli, as you found the ZYX to sound better with 220 ohm.

Got the message about the valves.

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers, Al. I will give that a go.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

My ZYX Yatra sounds really good with the 220 plugs in the OTP, with the 47 or 100s it can sound suppressed/compressed and a bit echoey.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    My ZYX Yatra sounds really good with the 220 plugs in the OTP, with the 47 or 100s it can sound suppressed/compressed and a bit echoey.
    I'd like a bit more than 100 but the 300 didn't quite do it. I previously loaded the OTP at 220 and felt that was spot on.

The Jolida at 100 is very impressive though.

Bigman80 Guest

So, half a day having a listen to the Jolida, new Vivant, FB-Tron and the FB-OTP MK2.

I'm glad to report the Jolida gave up no ground to anything we listened to today. Everything does things a little differently but the Jolida was very impressive to my ears. The best part is we managed to do a bit of tube rolling which has convinced me the Harma cryo valves should be taken seriously ! I would love to try some vintage NOS types so that's one for the future!

Next though is the removal of what I consider substandard components in the signal path. Pics to follow in a few weeks when the work has been done. No changes whatsoever are going to be done to the circuitry, just like for like swaps with better components and ultra low tolerances. Also up is to add another set of BurrBrown OPA627s too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast