+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New toy - Jolida JD9 MKII

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm sure there are members here with a valve buffer attached in the signal path.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I'm sure there are but that's not 'most people who swear by cd'?

I'd say that digital aficionados tend to be solid-state using, no nonsense objectivists. At least that is my impression from reading various forums over the years.

There's always a few exceptions to the rule of course, but I wouldn't have a valve buffer if you paid me. It really shouldn't be necessary for a digital system, and if it is then it is a sticking plaster trying to cover a more fundamental problem.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yup. It works for me!

Definitely sounds better. Whether it measures better or not, I don't care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Works for me too, Geoff.

Best thing about this purchase was the lack of expecting anything from it. It's a purchase i made to explore upgrades etc polyester to polypropylene caps etc, nothing fancy just a project. Luckily, I really like it. You know if I didn't it'd be on its way back to eBay lol.

Looking into Vintage microphone transformers to make a SUT so I can see how that affects the sound. Having a variety of settings available on the Jolida was another selling point. I nearly went for the Primare R32 on here but that wasn't really in keeping with my "experimentation" frame of mind.

Oh dear..... There is a gulf a mile wide between my thinking and that of many audiophiles me thinks!

I would never add a valve buffer under any circumstances... I'd build one for a customer of course if they asked me to but I would not use one myself. I'd obviously use a cathode follower (the correct name for a "valve buffer" in 95% of cases) where the circuitry dictated that one was necessary, but I'd never add one that wasn't required in order to deliberately add some sort of colouration

I also wouldn't touch vintage mic transformers with a barge pole!! Adding distortion and colouration to make the sound "nicer" is to me as garlic is to a vampire!!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Well, let's be fair Macca, "most people" i hear from about audio related matters is on this forum rather than on a population based scale, so in terms of total accuracy maybe I should have said "there are folk on here using buffers who are enjoying them and think they are a valued addition to their system"

Whether anyone would use them is another matter.

I haven't had anything with a buffer so now I have, it's all about learning for me now and this is something new in terms of construction and design. Job done!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Oh dear..... There is a gulf a mile wide between my thinking and that of many audiophiles me thinks!

I would never add a valve buffer under any circumstances... I'd build one for a customer of course if they asked me to but I would not use one myself. I'd obviously use a cathode follower (the correct name for a "valve buffer" in 95% of cases) where the circuitry dictated that one was necessary, but I'd never add one that wasn't required in order to deliberately add some sort of colouration

I also wouldn't touch vintage mic transformers with a barge pole!! Adding distortion and colouration to make the sound "nicer" is to me as garlic is to a vampire!!
    Haha, Jez, it's not a mile wide but your thoughts are more "purist"

I approached this from a point of view where I may be able to learn something from it. That's all. Mods, valves, loading, capacitance etc are all new to me in terms of audio. This is a very easily unit to modify as the 101 pages dedicated to it on Audio Karma demonstrate.

I've already learned a few bits and I have only had it a couple of days. It's paying off already.

I'm Russell.

Thanks Oliver, I've learned more about the Jolida pre from this thread than I have from 5 or 6 magazine reviews! It has been an object of interest for me for a year or two, and yes even after reading all those reviews I was still under the impression that it was a tube powered unit.

Seeing them sold used on Audiogon I was somewhat amused at how many were modified after purchase. Seems lots of people buy them with modification in mind? One thing is certain, when it comes to phono preamps, we have plenty to choose from. But finding a good one at a reasonable price is an actual find!

Years ago i bought a Musical Surroundings Phonomena, a giveaway price on a used unit. And different from the newer ones, mine had a battery power supply in a two chassis design. But the reason I bring it up is the selector switches look almost identical. And the selections are nearly identical, except for those gain ratings. I think mine tops out at 68 or 70db?

At any rate, despite what has been revealed in your thread, the fact that you are pleased with it makes me want to pop for one myself, and see how it stacks up against my old standby. It may be a while before I get a $5k BAT phono pre! Or the Aesthetix pre, that I fell in love with at a show long, long ago. I wonder how much better they are at ten times the price? Anyone know?

And PS, I've always thought that Cryo treatment was a load of whooy, remember the Tice Clock from the early 90's was it? While I am sure there are those who do actually "Cryo Treat", their parts, I suspect that many only say they do, it's rather hard to prove after the fact. And no proof or good theory as to why it should sound better anyway. But hey, if some feel they hear an improvement, more power to them. And as far as these tubes, maybe they treat the metal parts before they put them in the bottle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Thanks Oliver, I've learned more about the Jolida pre from this thread than I have from 5 or 6 magazine reviews! It has been an object of interest for me for a year or two, and yes even after reading all those reviews I was still under the impression that it was a tube powered unit.

Seeing them sold used on Audiogon I was somewhat amused at how many were modified after purchase. Seems lots of people buy them with modification in mind? One thing is certain, when it comes to phono preamps, we have plenty to choose from. But finding a good one at a reasonable price is an actual find!

Years ago i bought a Musical Surroundings Phonomena, a giveaway price on a used unit. And different from the newer ones, mine had a battery power supply in a two chassis design. But the reason I bring it up is the selector switches look almost identical. And the selections are nearly identical, except for those gain ratings. I think mine tops out at 68 or 70db?

At any rate, despite what has been revealed in your thread, the fact that you are pleased with it makes me want to pop for one myself, and see how it stacks up against my old standby. It may be a while before I get a $5k BAT phono pre! Or the Aesthetix pre, that I fell in love with at a show long, long ago. I wonder how much better they are at ten times the price? Anyone know?

And PS, I've always thought that Cryo treatment was a load of whooy, remember the Tice Clock from the early 90's was it? While I am sure there are those who do actually "Cryo Treat", their parts, I suspect that many only say they do, it's rather hard to prove after the fact. And no proof or good theory as to why it should sound better anyway. But hey, if some feel they hear an improvement, more power to them. And as far as these tubes, maybe they treat the metal parts before they put them in the bottle?

Hi Russell,

Well i am pleased something positive has come from this thread! Seemed to get a bit negative there over the marketing and design of the unit!!! rightly in some regard. Nobody should be "duped" by marketing.

This review convinced me to have a punt on it : http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida3/phono.html

I recommend definitely having listen to one if you can. It has surprised me. As i have already said, i had no expectation bias or any need really to expect anything as i bought it with learning in mind. They are ripe for mods if you get a stock version according to the review. Personally i expect that mods can only take it so far before the dimishing returns kick in. AudioKarma has 101 pages of information on it. I am hoping to swap the Polyester caps for polypropylene caps that perform the coupling on the opamp Circuit board then i will have a listen and see if i can hear a difference then i'll have a look for the next mod. Simple things like feet materials and which one is best. Those kind of things. Nothing boutique or stupid money. The goal is to learn from it. Anyone can buy anything that i widely regarded as "best in class" but i want to know what makes it the best in class. ( Not suggesting the Jolida is best in class BTW)

I like it and it has been very informative so far. Grey plates, Long plates, rippled plates are all new terms to me but i now know what they mean. It's paying off already.

As far as Cryo goes, Well, It may be foo but it is another interesting facet of the whole market isn't it. Someone told me to get better fuses as one of the first mods. I'm not getting into that argument lol!!!!

Oliver
    Last edited by Bigman80; 23-08-2017 at 23:19.

Bigman80 Guest

Some "propaganda" or Information. Depending which side of the Foo you fall

DEEP CYROGENTIC TREATMENT The process involves taking the vacuum tubes and freezing them down to -312 f and soaking these for a minimum of 12 hours. Then the temp is held at this low level for 24 hours. The vacuum tubes are then slowly brought up to normal levels over the next 12 hours. Metals respond very well to deep cryogenic process. The reasons are as follows. During the cooling or solidification phase of the manufacturing process, molecules are trapped in a haphazard pattern. This is down to stress caused in the bending and welding of the anode plate material.. This random placement causes obstacles for electrons and when encountered this interference can cause noise, slow down electron flow and sound deteriation affecting the quality of the sound of the vacuum tube. At very cold temperatures (below -312°F), the molecules will align in a more uniform, compact structure through the removal of kinetic energy. When the material is returned to ambient temperature, this new uniform, compact pattern is maintained, Thus changing the structure of the nickel permanently. This process makes a permanent change and the benefits do not deteriorate over time or upon return to operating temperature, it changes the whole way the vacuum tube performs. The biggest benefits I have found has been a dramatic improvement in dymanic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics.

I'm Russell.

I agree, it sounds very official! And easy to believe, but hard to prove. I've yet to see a picture of these atomic structures they refer to. Of course proof is in the hearing. If you had two tubes made exactly the same, with the Cryogenics being the only difference, it would be worth buying both just to see what the difference amounts to. But the factory probably doesn't offer any for comparison.

I'm not going to poopoo on anyone's claims or beliefs! As far as I know it does make a wonderful difference! But a few things remain. One is that when you buy a product that claims cryogenics, how can you be sure it actually happened? I mentioned the Tice Clock, back in the late 80's there was this revolutionary new product on the market, (for those who don't remember), it was a standard Radio Shack alarm clock that claimed to have been cryogenically frozen, and all one needed to do was plug it into the same circuit in your listening room and it would somehow clean up your stereo sound! And there were literally hundreds of people who swore it worked! A reputable reviewer attempted to call their bluff, and asked to visit the factory where this freezing was taking place, Tice declined saying it was top secret and no one could see it. Within a year it was history and Tice was on to some other revolutionary product. That was the first time I ever heard of anything being frozen, and with the smell of fraud and bull crap all over it, I guess it gave the whole idea a black eye.

But now days lots of reputable products claim cryogenic freezing, id like to think they are actually doing the freezing. I've got a power cord for my big Krell that claims it was Cryogenic, but honestly I don't hear anything that any other quality power cord doesn't deliver. Even the factory cable from Krell sounds as good. But perhaps that's a poor example? Tubes may be a better purpose for freezing? The way electrons act in an electron tube is quite mysterious anyway, small things could have large effects! So I have not gone out of my way to prove it's all a hoax, so I can't really say it doesn't work. But, due to past experiences I will remain skeptical. .

As far as fuses go, I have not tried them for fear that I will hear a difference! Then what? Should I get an Indian Shaman to "cleans" my room? Exorcise by a Catholic Priest? I kid, anyone who loves their fuses, more power to ya.

I'm Russell.

As far as the Jolida is concerned, as I was saying, I've seen many for sale used that others have already modified. Perhaps saving me the trouble? If they've done a good job. Previous to reading this post, I wanted one stock! But now I'm thinking perhaps modified is the way to go?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    As far as the Jolida is concerned, as I was saying, I've seen many for sale used that others have already modified. Perhaps saving me the trouble? If they've done a good job. Previous to reading this post, I wanted one stock! But now I'm thinking perhaps modified is the way to go?

Well it seems no one keeps them stock for long. The first three mods generally accepted are Better valves, Copious damping and removing the metal valve protectors. I imagine if you find one with those done, the rest cam be done to your preference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast