+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New toy - Jolida JD9 MKII

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, no offence intended. It's probably me who's the cynical one - must lighten up
    No offence taken, Andrew. It's right to point out the "marketing" as being slightly misleading. I can imagine it will have caught people out. Luckily I was aware of what I was purchasing. I think in terms of this phonostage it's definitely a bit of the best of both worlds. It may not suit everyone such as a Valve purist, but for me, in the same way the FB-Monos are a hybrid, it/they sounds good to me.

I think it'd surprise a few people.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It may not suit everyone such as a Valve purist, but for me, in the same way the FB-Monos are a hybrid, it/they sounds good to me.
    Yes, I'm no purist either and I think it's a good idea to use whatever components/technologies are available. No one would bat an eye at a circuit that used both jfets and bipolar junction transistors, or mosfets and op-amps, so why not valves and whatever else the designer sees fit? Semi-religious adherence to one particular type of device seems a bit blinkered to me.

Bigman80 Guest

Yes, I'm no purist either and I think it's a good idea to use whatever components/technologies are available. No one would bat an eye at a circuit that used both jfets and bipolar junction transistors, or mosfets and op-amps, so why not valves and whatever else the designer sees fit? Semi-religious adherence to one particular type of device seems a bit blinkered to me.
    Absolutely!! More hybrids!!!!

I'm Jez.

Yes. When I first heard about cryogenic treatment I did think it was audiophile mumbo-jumbo but when I looked into it I discovered that it's a widely used treatment in the materials science industry similar to (the converse of?) heat treatment, used for hardening metals. I'm sure there's more to it than that and I may have misrepresented it However, how that relates to valves and the effects on audio performance I don't know.

At least they used a low-noise op-amp. I'd be cautious about "chip rolling" willy-nilly. Actually, I tried rolling an op-amp once and found they're just not the right shape for rolling
    So, it's mostly op-amps with a tube thrown in for marketing. Am I the cynical one or are they?
    I certainly consider cryogenic treatment as audio mumbo jumbo!

I'm a big fan of hybrids... when done properly and for the right reasons! This I consider a cynical marketing ploy, as is unfortunately often the case.

To me a proper hybrid is when valves and SS are combined in the same circuit stage in order to exploit the best properties of both types of device and hopefully give results that would be impossible to get when using just valves or just SS (ie probably also beyond the technical understanding of the average customer as to why I've done it!). Making an entirely SS unit and then sticking a valve buffer or x4 amp on the end of it is "not cricket" in my way of looking at it and is almost certainly a marketing ploy.... especially as said customers can understand "now with tube output stage!!"

Anyone remember those Luxman integrated amps with a random single valve included which was placed about 6" from where it needed to be so it was just behind the front panel... with a perspex window to look at it glow? It probably says a lot about my lack of understanding of customers buying motivations in that I would think "what idiot would be so easily persuaded by such a simplistic and cynical marketing ploy!?" whereas the customers probably think "wow that's way cool man I want one..." Replace the valve bit with "huge analogue VU meters on an amp" and I have the same opinion! Adds maybe £25 to the cost of making the amp and so £100 to purchase cost and yet is usually as much use as a chocolate fireguard! Boys and their toys eh....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I certainly consider cryogenic treatment as audio mumbo jumbo!

I'm a big fan of hybrids... when done properly and for the right reasons! This I consider a cynical marketing ploy, as is unfortunately often the case.

To me a proper hybrid is when valves and SS are combined in the same circuit stage in order to exploit the best properties of both types of device and hopefully give results that would be impossible to get when using just valves or just SS (ie probably also beyond the technical understanding of the average customer as to why I've done it!). Making an entirely SS unit and then sticking a valve buffer or x4 amp on the end of it is "not cricket" in my way of looking at it and is almost certainly a marketing ploy.... especially as said customers can understand "now with tube output stage!!"

Anyone remember those Luxman integrated amps with a random single valve included which was placed about 6" from where it needed to be so it was just behind the front panel... with a perspex window to look at it glow? It probably says a lot about my lack of understanding of customers buying motivations in that I would think "what idiot would be so easily persuaded by such a simplistic and cynical marketing ploy!?" whereas the customers probably think "wow that's way cool man I want one..." Replace the valve bit with "huge analogue VU meters on an amp" and I have the same opinion! Adds maybe £25 to the cost of making the amp and so £100 to purchase cost and yet is usually as much use as a chocolate fireguard! Boys and their toys eh....
    Ha ha, Jez. I knew you'd be a fan of cryo

Most people who swear by CD usually have some sort of buffer somewhere. For me, it's no different here and let's be honest, in this additive hobby of ours, £500 on a phonostage is not a great deal of money. In fact, there are MM only stages that cost WAY more than the Jolida and the Jolida Is very versatile. It is what it is. A very good sounding phonostage sold under a lie hahaha.

I'm Martin.

Most people who swear by CD usually have some sort of buffer somewhere.
    No, absolutely not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Anyone remember those Luxman integrated amps with a random single valve included which was placed about 6" from where it needed to be so it was just behind the front panel... with a perspex window to look at it glow?
    Yes. I remember those. I think there was even a DIY version under the LuxKit label.

And for those who didn't know. Yes, Luxman did do kit amps for home assembly. Rather as Dynaco did (wouldn't mind getting my hands on a good Stereo 70 actually ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, absolutely not.
    I'm sure there are members here with a valve buffer attached in the signal path.

I'm Geoff.

I'm sure there are members here with a valve buffer attached in the signal path
    Yup. It works for me!

Definitely sounds better. Whether it measures better or not, I don't care!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yup. It works for me!
    Works for me too, Geoff.

Best thing about this purchase was the lack of expecting anything from it. It's a purchase i made to explore upgrades etc polyester to polypropylene caps etc, nothing fancy just a project. Luckily, I really like it. You know if I didn't it'd be on its way back to eBay lol.

Looking into Vintage microphone transformers to make a SUT so I can see how that affects the sound. Having a variety of settings available on the Jolida was another selling point. I nearly went for the Primare R32 on here but that wasn't really in keeping with my "experimentation" frame of mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast