+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96 upsampler

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarty View Post
    and I thought the MA DIP would just bring it up to the mark of my CDPs.
    Hard to say... I've serious doubts, though : usually imperfections with interfaces like the Wadia are multiple : various noises, clock... The DIP will certainly fix the clock part, but will not clean the signal of the (already) embedded noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarty View Post
    For sheer convenience the Wadia is a great bit of kit with my 160 GB iPod classic holding 4,700+ songs ripped in apple lossless, most of the time we will have it on shuffle and have re found some great albums that we haven't played for years
    I know. I also have a 160GB iPod (with 400AAC VBR), although I use it only for headphone listening, as I went the Squeezebox route a few years ago.
    My wife uses shuffle, too. Very convenient, indeed !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Hard to say... I've serious doubts, though : usually imperfections with interfaces like the Wadia are multiple : various noises, clock... The DIP will certainly fix the clock part, but will not clean the signal of the (already) embedded noise
    I know you are right Dimitri, rather spending the money on the Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96 upsampler I might get in touch with Mark at Audiocom and order a level-2 upgrade

"The level-2 upgrades install every conceivable improvement to the i170. We replace the internal clock of the PCM2706 chip with a ultra-low jitter external clock, the Superclock 4. This removes jitter and noise at all digital processing and analogue levels of the PCM2706 enabling more accurate, error free processing. We add a WBT NextGen cu RCA phono for digital output to provide the best possible signal transfer. To finish we further upgrade Tantalum decoupling with the S-CAP capacitors."

It's expensive at £453 but it should have big improvements to the Wadia.

Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

I'm notAlone.

Yes. This looks MUCH better, to me too (although the WBT plug is... ahem... not very useful) . Yes, it is expensive, indeed.
    What is the price of the DIP ?
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Yes. This looks MUCH better, to me too (although the WBT plug is... ahem... not very useful) . Yes, it is expensive, indeed.
    What is the price of the DIP ?
    I'm glad you agree the asking price for the DIP is £160 including postage (it is about four years old). My real worry was would it make any real difference to the sound..... I was even thinking about getting a Benchmark DAC which is supposed to get rid of the jitter but what a price but in the end I got the Caiman DAC (audio file bargain) which I must say I'm very pleased with and sounds superb . I suppose if I look at it this way the saving I made not getting the Benchmark and getting Stans Caimam DAC with the rest of the money can go towards the upgrade a win win situation, but please don't tell my wife....

Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

I'm notAlone.

There are cheaper dacs than the BM with anti-jitter circuitry. But then, again, they won't fix other (than clock) imperfections...
    Yes, if you already saved the money, then it's a win-win situation.

Have a look at the Denon ASD-51W and ASD-51N as well. I don't know how it compares to the Wadia bit (but I plan to get one next month).
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm ILOB.

The Audiocom upgrade should push things a lot further, there a few of us here who used Audiocom can vouch for how well they work, just be paitent it can take a few weeks before you get it returned and then a few weeks for you to hear its true potential
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jim.

I've got a MA DIP upsampling into a Wolfsoned 7520 from an Apple TV.
    I didn't notice as a big a difference using it in NUS mode. It did make a difference in the upsampling mode (it's a jumper you need to move on the PCB inside the actual unit). I guess theory says it shouldn't but hey, when did theory come into things?

There's one going on eBay too for £170 at the moment too.
    Last edited by trailer; 02-02-2010 at 21:32.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12