+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New speakers - masses of boomy bass

I'm Martin.

I have a couple of concrete slabs and rest the spikes on the concrete. I then finely adjust the spikes and tighten the locknuts until its very stable on there. I like what the slabs do and it does tighten things up. It does isolate the speakers enough from a suspended wooden floor.

Its not a massive difference as they were never boomy to start with. I was thinking that wooden floorboards isnt going to add qualities and I am right. Im listening to more of the speaker in isolation and it pleases me. Its depends what speakers you have but for a few quid per slab its worth a try. You can always use the slabs to prop up your barbecue outside

I made some fabric covered frames for the slabs and it looks very good

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I bought some EPDM 10mm rubber sheet
    I went for the WNA version - I always preferred Dre over Sermon
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Mike.

Think I might be wasting my time with big or even medium speakers in my flat, I used to have Espos es11 and they sounded good, but I wanted something a little bit more lush, warmer, and slightly more detailed if possible. I tried Ruark Templar, then the Talisman, Talisman are clearly in a better league detail/quality wise, but in my room they sound pretty harsh. Can I have recommendations for small speakers please? As I said I liked the Epos, but then I liked the Templar as I found them slightly warmer, but would like something a bit of step up. System is Naim 140(Avondale minicapped), 72, teddycap. NAS TT and Sony cdp. Was think Neat motive, but then read somewhere they can be bright, which is what I don't want. Spend upto £500 (used).

I'm Martin.

Mike, IME harshness isn't going to be caused by the speakers unless they are damaged. Seems more like a classic case of the better speaker is revealing problems up the chain. From what you've said anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mike, IME harshness isn't going to be caused by the speakers unless they are damaged. Seems more like a classic case of the better speaker is revealing problems up the chain. From what you've said anyway.
    Yeah, Could be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

May'be harshness is the wrong word, sort of forcedness to the sound. Both amps recently serviced, various TTs and cdps used, so I don't see where any issues would lie.

I'm Martin.

Impossible to diagnose from a distance. But something ain't right and I'd lay money it isn't the speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

I've no idea what a Naim 140 amp sounds like, but some of the older Naim amps can be quite bright and forced sounding (A horrible experience with a Nait3 comes to mind).
    Maybe try a different amp?
    Something with valves in - or a TA2022 chip amp maybe. Both can give smoother sounds.

I'm Steve.

ES 14?
    Harbeth HL-K6
    Spendor S3e's
    B&W DM4's

I'm Russell.

A 14x20 ft room is not small, you should be able to use some floor standers that don't get too large without having a booming bass or harsh high end? Perhaps you just have amp and speakers that are not well suited for each other? Hey, it happens! If there is any way you could borrow an amp, of any other make to see what happens, I think will be an eye opening experience. Some amps do lean to the bright side, I recall a lifetime ago someone I knew had a Harmon Cardon that was ear splitting! He didn't seem to notice? But anyway, some experimenting is in order before we can lay blame to anything. Is there any way to try a different amp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast