+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New speakers - masses of boomy bass

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    it would sound okay, and would probably sort your bass issue. But some of the cheaper ES gear is nothing special. The flagship amps are the ones to go for, where Japanese corporate pride has been staked, so it is as good as they could get it, rather than built to a price point. Worth paying the extra IMO.
    oh contraire! http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F700ES.html

what amp do i use? where do i live? send me a pm mike lol
    mike i have suggested in this thread that something like mana sound bases would help with your bass boom,i had the same thing with ditton 66's,they worked to great effect in tightening up the bass.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    oh contraire! http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F700ES.html

what amp do i use? where do i live? send me a pm mike lol
    mike i have suggested in this thread that something like mana sound bases would help with your bass boom,i had the same thing with ditton 66's,they worked to great effect in tightening up the bass.
    Emm, aren't they rather expensive for what they are? Aah, I see your in Brighton.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I was thinking Quad actually, aren't they very old though? Would need to be serviced right?
    Possibly, but they are Incredibly easy to service. It's unlikely to solve the bass problem, but should help with the screechy treble.

Another option you could try Is extending the ports to lower the tuning frequency. It doesn't matter If the ports are extended on the outside of the cabinet, so easy to try a quick experiment with some rolled up cardboard or something.

I'm gone.

Whats a T-amp?
    I can loan you one.
    It's a teeny weeny thing - size of a fag packet. My review here

Mine is out on loan to another AOSer at the moment but I can ask him to send it on to you if you like.
    (He was so impressed with it that he bought the latest version!).

Anyway - yours as a loaner if you want to try. Just PM me your name & address.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I can loan you one.
    It's a teeny weeny thing - size of a fag packet. My review here

Mine is out on loan to another AOSer at the moment but I can ask him to send it on to you if you like.
    (He was so impressed with it that he bought the latest version!).

Anyway - yours as a loaner if you want to try. Just PM me your name & address.
    So that's an integrated amp with one input?

I'm gone.

So that's an integrated amp with one input?
    Yes.
    You can use it as a power amp with the volume control at max, and a separate pre amp. Quite a few folks prefer to use them this way for sq reasons.
    It's just a way to try a (very) different amp to see what happens with the sound with your speakers.
    Class D amps like this one have very high damping factor, so should give excellent bass control - which they do, very taut and defined.

It's a small light package - £2.95 Royal Mail Small Packet will do it.

I'm frank.

Not sure if you've tried this but get them off the floor-6-10 inches and see what happens-this could be an 'horrible floor ceiling thing going on.

I'm Mike.

Well I've moved my amps to the top of my shelf now so the cables are a lot tidier. Can't say it affects the sound, which actually is pretty good now I've got the NAS TT, still the boominess persists. I've just ordered sorbothane half domes for the speakers, £25 for 8, so a risk free try out. Thanks to Yomanze and his thread on decoupling for this. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...coupling/page2

Looking tidier!

IMG_20171122_114728940_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20171122_114810309 by Mike Van, on Flickr

I'm Mike.

Did I say it was sounding pretty good, apart from the already mentioned boominess? well not so sure now. Just played some records I haven't played in quite a while, and they sounded awful, they were old school hip hop and 90s techno, really screechy, had to take them off the TT, unlistenable. I listened long enough to hear sounds I never knew were there! What was once a faint high pitched sound became a whistle, timing was much better, as were drums, but, and a big but, overall sound was unlistenable, too much screechiness. Strange cos I played another old hip hop LP yesterday and it sounded great, but that was a slightly funkier and better produced sound - Jeru the Damaja if anyone is familiar. Again, a lot of music makes more sense because the timing is better, but this further insight into the music sometimes comes at the expense of overall fluidity (if you know wharra mean) and just listenability. I'm beginning to think that old Naim amps are only any good (Turntable wise) with old LP12s, with their mellower less revealing nature. A change in ampage might be in order. Thinking something at the other end of the spectrum - like Quad, but open to anything really. Shame as the old Naim shoe boxes do look nice, but then so do old Quads.

I'm Mark.

As said earlier, grab any other amp just to try.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast