Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
You need to have a total rethink then Mike. Boomy bass is one thing but if the sound is screechy and in your face then it won't be the speakers - unless they are broken. And don't fall into the trap of thinking it is the recordings. You have good speakers and you should be able to get away with them in that space from the bass side of things. I'd look at cables and interconnects and if that doesn't work, consider that there might be an issue with amp or sources.
Well, I've recently changed TTs since I started this thread so can't be that. Recently went from a standard Naim nap 140 (power amp) to one with an Avondale minicap - done by a pro, so that must rule that out. All thats left is the pre amp - Naim nac 72, that was serviced 2 / 3 years ago at Class A. Cables? who knows what could be up with those! I was gonna try a totally new amp set up when money was flowing a bit easier, gonna try an old integrated Sony 700 es or similar, just to see what difference that makes, not too much outlay. One thing I did turn my pre amp volume control way past its stopping point, thinking I was undoing the screw to get the cover of the volume control off, nope, still works, but don't know whether that could adversely affect the sound. Some musical genres are better to listen to than others, on my current system, its my favourites like the stones and kinks, Beatles, which become a bit screechy and unbearable, and rather boxed in sound.