+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New speakers - masses of boomy bass

I'm Mike.

Default New speakers - masses of boomy bass

Just gone from Ruark Templar to Talisman II, and the bass is somewhat out of control, very boomy and masking the other frequencies, with bass heavy music anyway. Appreciate the finer details and general increase in quality the Talisman bring over the Templar, but is there anyway to tame the bass? I live in a 1st floor flat, so suspended floorboards, as yet I haven't tried anything like stone slabs, for now the Talisman just sit straight on the floor as they seem to have different size holes for the spikes to the Templars, so will need to get some new spikes to try that. Room is sort of L shape - well not so narrow, but lounge with kitchen off lounge in same room and carpeted. I suppose filling the front ports would foam would dampen the bass a lot? Any thing else to try before I go back to stand mounts?
    Ta.

I'm Geoff.

That's a shame Mike. I think things may improve with decent spikes fitted. You could also try some port bungs, most dealers can supply these and there'll be some on ebay. Getting the speakers off the floor altogether might be worth trying as well, short stands are available.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Stuff a sock in each port before you try anything else! Make them ball shaped if you have to for a reasonably tight fit.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

I'm very interested in how this turns out, I too have a LOT of bass to deal with. Legacy Focus, huge speakers, they can deliver the bass. It's seems more of an issue on certain inputs, FM is real bassy.

Pulling them into the room helped, but living in the real world we can't get 10 feet behind our speakers like rich folks do. But, if I can get 2/3'd to a meter behind them helps. Of course store bought tube traps, and bass traps were made especially for this problem, and while quite expensive, not hard to make your own. Some super expensive store bought ones I discovered were just ceiling tiles wrapped in burlap. I plan to take some plain ceiling tiles and place on the wall behind my speakers just as a test. If it works, I'll find some speaker grill cloth to cover them with.

Floor spikes can tame boomy bass, and tighten it up considerably, but in my experience, it won't lessen the bass. Of course tighter is better than boomy any day.

Remember when we could just grab the bass knob on the receiver and adjust it? Are we really that much happier now that tone shaping circuits have been removed from our gear? One less vail, we've given up control of our systems for the last word in transparency. Forgive me, I waxed nostalgic for a moment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Jonathan.

When I had Talisman 2s the bottom of the speaker was filled with kiln dried sand. I believed this tamed the bass but have not verified this with any other Talisman owners, I seem to remember someone saying it made no difference to them.

I'm Stuart.

If the bass is annoying the neighbours below then you need to decouple the speakers from the floor. If you couple them with spikes then you will just transmit clearer bass down to your neighbours. Lots of threads about decoupling speakers but if you search Townshend seismic speaker mounts on google or u-tube then that is a good place to start reading about the science of sound transmission.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    If the bass is annoying the neighbours below then you need to decouple the speakers from the floor. If you couple them with spikes then you will just transmit clearer bass down to your neighbours. Lots of threads about decoupling speakers but if you search Townshend seismic speaker mounts on google or u-tube then that is a good place to start reading about the science of sound transmission.
    No neighbours below (or above) as my flat is a maisonette, except my dog when she's gone to bed of course!

I'm Mike.

Thanks to all replies, which try bungs ( or socks) in the ports fist, these are lovely looking speakers by the way, Talisman II, in cherry I think. My old Templars were M5 spikes I think, I guess these Talisman will be M6? Is it worth trying a couple of concrete slabs on the floor?

I'm Martin.

Slabs might help but I doubt it and I'd avoid the socks/bungs. Try thinner speaker cable first.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Slabs might help but I doubt it and I'd avoid the socks/bungs. Try thinner speaker cable first.
    I would have thought that thinner speaker cable, if it had any audible effect, of ever so slightly, increasing the amount of boomy bass. The thinner cable will have a very slightly higher resistance, therefore decreasing the effective damping factor of the system, hence if detectable, more boomy bass.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast