+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New speakers - masses of boomy bass

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Is it worth trying a couple of concrete slabs on the floor?
    That can help, but don't place speakers directly on slabs, as concrete tends to contain residual moisture which can damage woodwork (and also floors).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I would have thought that thinner speaker cable, if it had any audible effect, of ever so slightly, increasing the amount of boomy bass. The thinner cable will have a very slightly higher resistance, therefore decreasing the effective damping factor of the system, hence if detectable, more boomy bass.
    That was my thought too. Although the effect is probably minimal with the average run of cable.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Russell.

Instead of thinner wire, perhaps the same thing could be achieved in greater amounts by adding a resister to the crossover? Even outside, in line with the wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Instead of thinner wire, perhaps the same thing could be achieved in greater amounts by adding a resister to the crossover? Even outside, in line with the wire?
    That would probably achieve something similar. The damping factor could be reduced leading to boomier bass.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I would have thought that thinner speaker cable, if it had any audible effect, of ever so slightly, increasing the amount of boomy bass. The thinner cable will have a very slightly higher resistance, therefore decreasing the effective damping factor of the system, hence if detectable, more boomy bass.
    On paper maybe so. In practice I have found using thinner cable emphasises the mid and top over the bass, thicker cable to be the opposite. From a subjective listening point of view of course. But that's what matters after all.

If the problem is lack of control in the bass that needs to be addressed via the power amp. Some can create a whole load of sludge at the bottom end that sounds like lots of bass initially but is actually just distortion. The better the power amp, the cleaner the bass sounds.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Some rooms just dont like big bass speakers imv. Ive had trouble with bass being a tad over what i like(accepted i dont like a lot) thought it was speakers etc and to an extent it was but the room was mostly to blame, and ive got concrete floors. Personally i think its the gap betweem plasterboard and brick thats the cause plus the chimney
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I used the original Talismans for a number of years and indeed the space at the base of the speakers I filled with sand. Found that about three-quarters filling did the trick of banishing any excessive bass. Mine were used with a concrete floor though. Used with a Quad 606/34.

I'm gone.

Socks.
    Absolutely the socks.
    Try various density bungs to tune the bass to how you like it.
    Even a loosely filled port can work wonders.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Socks. Absolutely the socks.
    Any particular colour?

I'm gone.

Pink, with emerald green stripes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast