+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uneven sonics on "Electric Ladyland"

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never thought any of the original Hendrix LPs were that well recorded. Of those I prefer 'Axis ... ' over the others, but my favourite (on CD) is 'Blue'. And for live recordings, by far my favourite is a recording made of his appearance at the London Royal Albert Hall and released as a "freebie" by the Sunday Times. The atmosphere and sheer virtuosity of his guitar playing is amazing - I wish I had been there!

As to who is the best guitarist ever? Well that's as pointless and unanswerable a question as asking who is the greatest drummer, bassist, pianist, violinist, cellist, saxophonist, trumpet player, ...... .
    Live at the Albert hall is a subject to itself as there is still legal argument ongoing in 2017 some 48 years later
    https://www.courthousenews.com/jimi-...tay-wraps-now/

But the shorter story is there were two recordings done. The album "In the West" ( Polydor) track Voodoo Chile and Little Wing is from the better recording done at Albert Hall, not to be confused with the Hendrix Estate version of "In the West" which presents these same songs from instead San Diego Sports arena. The other recordings released from Albert Hall were from a second lesser quality recording done. The "Concerts" recording of Stone free also is from this lesser quality recording, despite its essential listening - mind blowing good playing by Jimi Mitch and Noel

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've always thought 'Landlady' was a bit self-indulgent compared to 'Are You Experienced' and 'Axis'. Rainbow Bridge = disappointing.

Live albums 'In The West' and 'The Jimi Hendrix Concerts' are my most usual plays though.
    The only thing I don't like about Ladyland is side B. For some reason, does not match the majesty of the other three sides.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I know a guy who played with Hendrix when he was in the UK. (He owns my local guitar shop) I spoke to him at length about this very subject a few years ago. His take on it was that they just couldn't find the best way to record him. Some tracks were easier than other and often sounded better but often he'd change the volume of his guitar during a track (as he did live) to attain certain sounds like dive bombs and it would throw the whole recording into a EQ nightmare. The second problem was, he just wasnt that "big" at the tine which also meant he didn't get the amount of attention to detail on his record mixes as say the Beatles or the stones.

That's his take. Sounds like he's right to me.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Those brutal volume swells have actually been excellently captured on the double LP. The dynamics on that record are insane, and that's part of the listening magic.

Where some tracks fall short is in the lack of clarity when there are a lot of overlaying and overdubs -- the sound sometimes turns into mud.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Certainly, that's an argument that could be had, but it seems way too simplistic an argument in my opinion. I'm sure the power and excitement of his playing were astonishing to audiences at the time but "best electric guitar player"? For example, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass etc. played electric guitar too, but how could you make meaningful comparisons when the musical styles were so far apart?

Personally, I've long-since abandoned any ideas about who is "the best" at anything musical. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. I leave ideas about being "the best" to those blokes (and women) running round tracks and throwing things. A stop-watch or a tape measure easily proves who's best in those areas of endeavour.
    Good points. I would now like to revise my statement and say that arguably Hendrix is better than any guitar player I've ever heard. That's not saying he's the best, just that he's better than anyone else.

As for genres, you're right; I will revise my statement once again and say that Hendrix is better than any other electric rock guitar player. How's that?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca;889764[B
    ]Hendrix wasn't a guitar player. He was the guitar.[/B] And the guitar was him.

A few players have got close to his fluency, I don't think anyone has equalled him. Not just for the skill of the playing but for his innovation. All the greats could innovate.

Grant a lump of concrete coming your way (no bricks to hand)
    bollocks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    He was a great all round musician; that's what he excelled at. could do everything well, and some of it the best, but because he could do it all among the very best he was the top man. His lead guitar work was maybe his weakest point actually (imo). Writer, arranger, producer, probably hard to better him to this day. Surprisingly his rhythm guitar was maybe what he was best at when he wanted to do it.
    Still, although not so far up my list as he once was I still class him a musical God.personally I prefer Beck and as a lead he is imo the top man.(although he doe have off days)

No flinging bricks please
    Jeff Beck is an acquired taste. I personally cannot stand his slinky, slippery playing. Makes me nauseous. But now we're getting into the personal tastes territory, where arguing is pointless.

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Jeff Beck is an acquired taste. I personally cannot stand his slinky, slippery playing. Makes me nauseous. But now we're getting into the personal tastes territory, where arguing is pointless.
    Sort of agree about JB even though I've got a fair few of his records. But he's doing a completely different shtick to Hendrix. More technical and planned out whilst Hendrix played from the gut.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    bollocks
    Hendrix or the concrete?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sort of agree about JB even though I've got a fair few of his records. But he's doing a completely different shtick to Hendrix. More technical and planned out whilst Hendrix played from the gut.
    Hendrix transcended electric guitar. That's what separates him from any other electric guitar player I've ever heard. All other players sound completely boxed-in when compared to Hendrix. Even amazing guys and guitar innovators like Allan Holdsworth and John McLaughlin could never get to even 1% of Hendrix's magic.

Alex.

Bigman80 Guest

Hendrix didn't play guitar like anyone else. This is equally true in terms of the technique he used. He played almost exclusively with open chords with altering fingering arrangements. His technique gave him the ability for additional hammer-ons and pull-off in chords which gave him endless possibilities. I play guitar, I'm very good, I know how Hendrix played but yet there is a dimension in which I just cannot compete. I play Beck, Clapton etc with aplomb but Hendrix wasn't standard. Say what you will, to me, he is the greatest of all time.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast