+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uneven sonics on "Electric Ladyland"

I'm Werner.

Alex,
    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I could hear that it contains the meanest guitar playing ever put on tape […]
    maybe, but I can’t really comment on this, since ”ever“ is not over yet. If you’re in the mood for really mean things I suggest visiting your dominatrix instead.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Martin.

There's never, ever going to be anyone better than Hendrix. I think it is safe to say that. None of his peers even came close, no-one in the 40 years since has come close and as for contemporary musicians....forget it. They're not even as good as Clapton.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I know a guy who played with Hendrix when he was in the UK. (He owns my local guitar shop) I spoke to him at length about this very subject a few years ago. His take on it was that they just couldn't find the best way to record him. Some tracks were easier than other and often sounded better but often he'd change the volume of his guitar during a track (as he did live) to attain certain sounds like dive bombs and it would throw the whole recording into a EQ nightmare. The second problem was, he just wasnt that "big" at the tine which also meant he didn't get the amount of attention to detail on his record mixes as say the Beatles or the stones.

That's his take. Sounds like he's right to me.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Eddie Kramer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Kramer was the main engineer for Hendrix,
    and also collaborated with The Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Many AOS members would know "Whole Lotta love" from Led Zeppelin 2 .. also Eddie Kramer.
    Some footage of him is seen as I recall in the Woodstock movie, as he was also engineer there.

Basically Eddie Kramer was a great choice for Hendrix, as he had the patience for things like 50 takes
    on Gypsy eyes from Electric Ladyland, and knew his stuff when recording.

And a quote from Wikipedia ( same link above ) about Hendrix in the recording studio

"Kramer recalls Hendrix as extremely disciplined in the studio, with his objectives thoroughly pre-planned. To some extent this was a result of working with results-oriented manager and early producer Chas Chandler, who brought Hendrix to England in September 1966, where he established his fame before returning to the United States. Hendrix envisioned the tonal spectrum as a palette of colors, often instructing Kramer with color-based commands. "Make it sound green," for example, was satisfied by adding reverb.[8]

"Jimi utilized the studio as a rehearsal space", thank God he did." Kramer described Hendrix as "very sharp, very focused, very funny, very shy, totally dedicated to his music and his art. He was such a complete human being with such far-reaching intellect."[5] Kramer places Hendrix among Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Louis Armstrong. "He really is in that league, because his individuality was so strong and his message was so strong and his mastery of his instrument was so complete. He was a maverick. He broke a lot of barriers, musically and in every way."[9] "Tastes and sounds may change", echoes Chris Talbott of Associated Press, "but Hendrix always remains close at hand".
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 17-08-2017 at 16:21.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Eddie Kramer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Kramer was the main engineer for Hendrix,
    and also collaborated with The Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Many AOS members would know "Whole Lotta love" from Led Zeppelin 2 .. also Eddie Kramer.
    Some footage of him is seen as I recall in the Woodstock movie, as he was also engineer there.

Basically Eddie Kramer was a great choice for Hendrixm as he had the patience for things like 50 takes
    on Gypsy eyes from Electric Ladyland, and knew his stuff when recording.
    Well,that's what he said, rightly or wrongly. Personally I've always felt the Hendrix LPs weren't the best recordings. The remastered versions are a lot better. IMO of course.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

He was a great all round musician; that's what he excelled at. could do everything well, and some of it the best, but because he could do it all among the very best he was the top man. His lead guitar work was maybe his weakest point actually (imo). Writer, arranger, producer, probably hard to better him to this day. Surprisingly his rhythm guitar was maybe what he was best at when he wanted to do it.
    Still, although not so far up my list as he once was I still class him a musical God.personally I prefer Beck and as a lead he is imo the top man.(although he doe have off days)

No flinging bricks please
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've never thought any of the original Hendrix LPs were that well recorded. Of those I prefer 'Axis ... ' over the others, but my favourite (on CD) is 'Blue'. And for live recordings, by far my favourite is a recording made of his appearance at the London Royal Albert Hall and released as a "freebie" by the Sunday Times. The atmosphere and sheer virtuosity of his guitar playing is amazing - I wish I had been there!

As to who is the best guitarist ever? Well that's as pointless and unanswerable a question as asking who is the greatest drummer, bassist, pianist, violinist, cellist, saxophonist, trumpet player, ...... .
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Alex,
    maybe, but I can’t really comment on this, since ”ever“ is not over yet. If you’re in the mood for really mean things I suggest visiting your dominatrix instead.

Werner.
    She plays guitar? How do you know that?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Hendrix wasn't a guitar player. He was the guitar. And the guitar was him.

A few players have got close to his fluency, I don't think anyone has equalled him. Not just for the skill of the playing but for his innovation. All the greats could innovate.

Grant a lump of concrete coming your way (no bricks to hand)
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    A few corrections: Electric Ladyland was recorded entirely at the Record Plant West 44th Street in New York.

Jimi's inventive use of guitar was always progressing, so confining it to just this album is a bit sad. Rather
    we can hear even better playing on later posthumos albums like Rainbow Bridge ( the re released Estate version )
    which is not to say Electric Ladyland does not contain some stellar moments, which it does.

Due to Jimi's extremely inventive use of devices that included feedback across headphones to create the sound of gulls
    and studio perfectionism, IMO you really need to hear it on CD.

The Authorised release by the Hendrix family is terrific and sounds excellent on a good audio system, even better one with a proper preamp.

Cheers / Chris
    My digital front end is not that good, hence, as I explained in the original post, I could not bear listening to Ladyland on the CD.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hendrix wasn't a guitar player. He was the guitar. And the guitar was him.

A few players have got close to his fluency, I don't think anyone has equalled him. Not just for the skill of the playing but for his innovation. All the greats could innovate.

Grant a lump of concrete coming your way (no bricks to hand)
    At first I didn't realize the truth of Jimi's greatness. I used to think that Jimi is yet another member of the large pantheon of guitar gods.

But then one day I was listening to Steve Ray Vaughan doing a Hendrix cover, and I was amazed at Stevie's prowess and musicianship. Then, immediately after that, I put Jimi on, and my god, he made Stevie Ray Vaughan sound like a midget. SRV all of a sudden turned into this square, pedestrian guitar player wannabe. Sound unbelievable to even say that, but such is the magical power of Jimi Hendrix's playing!

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast