+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are tweaks a necessity?

I'm Howard.

Default Are tweaks a necessity?

Paul McGowan writes:

I love to tweak the system as much as anyone (perhaps more). It’s the instant gratification that attracts me. Like sweet syrup atop strawberries.

But here’s the weird thing. With one or two exceptions, I haven’t any tweaks remaining: dots, bells, green pens, enhancers, felt mats, low-frequency resonators, hundred dollar fuses, potions, and cable lifts are all gone.

I bring one in and listen to it and get excited. Some stay, most leave after a period of time. I wonder why that is?

Part of me is so focused on purity that I don’t appreciate appendages that make the system feel “violated.”

For the most part, I use tweaky improvements as guideposts. Once I know how far I can go for better sound, I find other ways of achieving it without violating the system’s pure simplicity. Other additions have a way of staying in the system. They are the rare keepers.

I once considered room conditioning as a tweak. Systems should work in any room. That mentality turned out to be patently false, and thus, diffusers and other additions to the basics remain integral to the experience.

If I were asked for advice, I would suggest you try everything of interest that comes along, then throw most of it out, keeping only what works over extended listening.

I think you’ll find there’s not much that stays in the system.
    Well, hello.

I'm Dennis.

IMO tweeks appeal to the desire to have an autonomous ability to improve the sound, and fundamentally this is what an engineer does.

But the big difference is that unlike the tweeker, who seeks an easy gratification, the engineer disciplines himself enough to put in the work and study required to grapple realistically with the physics and electronics involved.

Tweeking appeals to the lazy child in us all.

Jar of pebbles anyone?

I'm gone.

Tweaks come -- and usually go.

Yes, that is my experience, too.

Fancy feet, green pens, ferrite rings ... many more ... even mains cleaners / regenerators.
    Arrive, enjoyed --- then depart with no real sense of loss.
    Somehow more ephemeral than component changes (although they come and go as well )

But as with Paul McGowan they often do point the way to achieving similar sonic improvements but better with major component changes.

My current tweakery fad is with acoustic panels .... enjoying what they do, but will they pass the test of time?

I'm Deleted.

Well, the difference is that acoustic panels definitely do something to the sound - easily audible and easily measured. This isn't really true of most 'tweaks' - or at least the effect can't be measured (very rarely at any rate). Thinking about it, I don't have many of what I would consider 'tweaks' in my system - though some may disagree.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

I guess i wonder why many feel the need to rubbish them, when they make others happy.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

I think the 'rubbishing' is quite dependant on the tweak in question. Many who believe in the benefit of interconnects will decry mains cables, or those who espouse the use of cones under equipment will treat as ludicrous the use of little bells attached to window etc..... .

Edit: I'm not actually rubbishing any of the above - well, except for the bells on windows bit... see what I mean?
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

tell me more about the little bells on the window...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    tell me more about the little bells on the window...
    They resonate through mid frequencies, enhancing music enjoyment! And keep the cat amused.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

If a tweek is effective, like acoustic panels, which IMO are a treatment validatable with science, the only question remains then is; are they worth it in terms of cost/benefit and visual imposition?

I'm Martin.

I suppose it depends what we are calling tweaks. At one end of the scale something like experimenting with speaker position is tweaking, and at the other end putting safety pins in the curtains is also tweaking. At some point in between there is a nonsense threshold, where that is will be different for every individual. But it is all tweaking to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast