+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed with using Naim Nait 5i with turntable

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Roberts View Post
    Any reason why you refuse to use Naim, lots of people seem to rearlly like them. I paid £410 for the amp so around that price.
    Cheers
    There are happy Naim users, but I've listened to plenty of Naim equipment and not heard anything I'd like to live with. Only my opinion, but I regard Naim gear as overpriced and overrated.

There are decent second hand amplifiers available that would drive your B&W speakers well and sound remarkably good at a fifth of the price you paid.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugh.

Looks reasonable and presumably compatible with everything else I have.

I'm Hugh.

What would you suggest I look at Walpurgis?

I'm Geoff.

A rega Brio R perhaps. A decent, well built amp with good built in phono stage and probably available for around £300 in mint condition. Rega make good value products.

Or if you want to save money, my usual budget recommendation. The Denon PMA-350SE. Very good sound quality, plenty of power and reliable. Normally under £100 in top condition. Can occasionally be found with built in phono stage, but not often. A bargain for the sound on offer.

Both the above will work fine with the DM4's.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Hi Hugh.

Yes, unfortunately the modern Nait 5 series does not have an input for a turntable. They also do not have wobbly front panels! (wobbly sockets, yes, .. they are designed that way). I suspect the bargain price reflected that problem. However, I'd send it back or take it to Naim, who are in just up in Salisbury, and might sort it for you while you wait.

If you decide to keep it, you can buy a cheap phonostage (see post 8), which you plug into the Aux socket on the Naim and then plug your turntable into it. This is a common thing, and any dealer can advise.

As people suggest, if you do send it back, try to find a Rega Brio, which will work well with your turntable ... it's a simpler solution.

A lot of the 'old-timers' haven't heard modern Naim amps, and are basing their comments on older models, which could be a little 'strident' in their sound. That is not the case with current models. I have owned both current Nait 5si and the 'previous generation' Rega Brio R, and the Naim is marginally the better amplifier, but the Rega is better value.

Hope that helps

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Hi Hugh.

Yes, unfortunately the modern Nait 5 series does not have an input for a turntable. They also do not have wobbly front panels! (wobbly sockets, yes, .. they are designed that way). I suspect the bargain price reflected that problem. However, I'd send it back or take it to Naim, who are in just up in Salisbury, and might sort it for you while you wait.

If you decide to keep it, you can buy a cheap phonostage (see post 8), which you plug into the Aux socket on the Naim and then plug your turntable into it. This is a common thing, and any dealer can advise.

As people suggest, if you do send it back, try to find a Rega Brio, which will work well with your turntable ... it's a simpler solution.

A lot of the 'old-timers' haven't heard modern Naim amps, and are basing their comments on older models, which could be a little 'strident' in their sound. That is not the case with current models. I have owned both current Nait 5si and the 'previous generation' Rega Brio R, and the Naim is marginally the better amplifier, but the Rega is better value.

Hope that helps
    your feeling brave today Peter
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

I'm one meself

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    A lot of the 'old-timers' haven't heard modern Naim amps, and are basing their comments on older models, which could be a little 'strident' in their sound. That is not the case with current models.
    Well, I'm certainly an 'old-timer' and I'll admit to not having listened to a Naim amp for a couple of decades, possibly more. The sound that you describe as 'a little strident' had me heading for the hills clutching my ears. Maybe I ought to cut them some slack and try again.

Either way, I wouldn't bother faffing around your wobbly-panelled Naim. Send it back and get a Brio. You won't regret it.

I'm Dave.

If you haven't already done so, you need to return that Nait because it shouldn't have a 'wobbly' front panel.

If you are spending £400 or so and then another £150 for a phono stage, I would strongly suggest you investigate the new Rega Brio. This is a great integrated amp, far better than the Nait to my ears and it has an excellent phono stage built in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12