+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with using Naim Nait 5i with turntable

I'm Hugh.

Default Help needed with using Naim Nait 5i with turntable

I have just bought a Naim Nait 5i second hand and being a novice I thought that the Nait range was an integrated amp and did not need a preamp but after a little more research it appears that the 1, 2 and 3 have phone inputs but not the 5 which has two tape inputs??? Do I need to buy a preamp to use this, I rearlly only listen to vinyl so should I have gone for a 1, 2 or 3 or can I get a preamp for a reasonable price. Secondly on arrival the amp appears to have a wobbly front which was not mentioned by the seller, I have emailed him and he said yes he knew and had been advised it was not a problem [ thanks for not telling me]. He has said I am welcome to send it back. Any advice welcomed, I have a sitting room full of packaging, cables etc and I cant even put a record on and open a beer My turntable is a rega planer 3 if that helps.

I'm Grant.

i'd send it back if your not happy. it shouldnt have an unknown to you wobbly bit. if you keep it then you need a phono amp. depending on your cartridge, either a mm or a mc or both if your thinking of changing carts. The inputs are all line level so a TT needs to be amplified to line level.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugh.

Thanks for reply, as I said I am a hifi novice so didnt understand all of your answer. I probably will send it back because of the wobbly front but if not what sort of cost is a phono amp and I am right that the Nait 1, 2 and 3 dont need this.

I'm Grant.

Default Help needed with using Naim Nait 5i with turntable

On second point I don't know. You would need to check specs.

On first well how longs a piece of string. You get them all prices but I'd think a minimum of £150. Might be better getting one with a stage built in this time
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'd send it back too.

Why did you opt for a Naim Nait 5i Hugh?

If you are putting a starter record playing system there are other options. Probably at less cost. It would be helpful to know what you are aiming to achieve.

What speakers will you be using or are you having a headphone system?

Phono stages (amps) start at around £80 and the sky is the limit upwards pricewise. Some amps come equipped with built in phono stages.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugh.

Someone recommended the Nait 3 as a good integrated amp, I reviewed a bit and came back with great reviews so was looking for a 3 but also review said that the 5 was an updated improved model and I saw one on ebay and bid. It seems very strange to me why the earlier models have turntable inputs and the 5 does not but it retains the tape input. If I do buy a preamp where should I start or if I send it back am I right that the Nait 1 2 or 3 do not need the preamp? I have a rega planer 3 and B&W DM4 speakers and I listen mostly to vinyl but not on headphones. Thanks for help. Hugh

I'm Geoff.

I can't advise you on the other Naits, not having tried them. Mainly because I steadfastly refuse to use Naim equipment.

Reviews by the way, are very deceptive. Try and find a bad one of any amp or other bit of Hi-Fi. There aren't many.

There are many amps that will work well with the DM4 speakers and give you a very decent sound. What is your budget?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mini-a2d.html

They're remarkably good considering their low price.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Hugh.

Any reason why you refuse to use Naim, lots of people seem to rearlly like them. I paid £410 for the amp so around that price.
    Cheers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Get yourself one of these:

http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mini-a2d.html

They're remarkably good considering their low price.
    Probably as good as any at the price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast