+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony CDP-555ESD, masterpiece from the late 1980s, £300

I'm Matt.

Default Sony CDP-555ESD, masterpiece from the late 1980s, £300

A masterpiece, one of the top of the range Sony players from the late 1980s, cost was £1,000 back in 1987. This is the one with the Philips DAC. Build quality and attention to detail is amazing - look at the size of the power supplies! Sony's best transport mechanism - the KSS190A, plus the legendary Philips TDA1541A. Produces a wonderful, clear and rich sound with real presence and depth. For more information see - http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-555ESD.html. And it's beautiful too, to my eyes anyway. In very good condition, two small nicks at the front (see pic) but barely noticeable.

In full working order and recently serviced by MikeP (not sure if he’s a member of AoS but he’s well known on pfm and is a very good egg who knows his way around these players like few others). Work included: -

Cleaned laser upper lens.
    Cleaned and lubed the tray mechanism/guide rod.
    Relubricated laser sled guide rails.
    Lubricated the electric motors and also the bottom bearing of the main platter/spindle motor.
    Adjusted PLL frequency.
    Adjusted focus bias.
    Adjusted focus gain.
    Adjusted tracking gain.
    Adjusted EF balance.

Belts also recently replaced. The story behind this player was that it was owned by a guy who worked for a studio in Switzerland over the summer - this was part of the rig he had at his home in Switzerland and so it had limited use (plus he told me that he listened to the radio most of the time). I bought it in approx 2014 - it's had very little use since then. So hopefully it should be good for a while yet.

Mike converted the player to run at the proper voltage (240V, not 220V), and has a UK plug. Original remote control included.

Collection very much preferred (from Abingdon, Oxfordshire) as CD players like this really don’t like being posted. Happy to drive up to say 100 miles radius to meet the winning bidder for cost of petrol. But can post if there's no other way, wrapped in bubble wrap and with the transport lock on.

£300

Pictures

I'm Matt.

Sold STP!

+ Reply to Thread