+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU Upgrades. Why?

I'm Edward.

Is it not the case that many manufacturers, to be competitive, will use bits in their amps or whatever that will achieve a certain market price point and where the sound will be adequate? And then offer 'upgrades' (e.g. higher quality regulators, smoothing caps etc) to achieve a better sound? Most often these upgrades will, sadly, be proportionally much more expensive.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Is it not the case that many manufacturers, to be competitive, will use bits in their amps or whatever that will achieve a certain market price point and where the sound will be adequate? And then offer 'upgrades' (e.g. higher quality regulators, smoothing caps etc) to achieve a better sound? Most often these upgrades will, sadly, be proportionally much more expensive.
    It's all down to cost then as I said much earlier on, but I don't think Geoff believes this.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Seems the point is still being missed.

If something is working properly it needs no upgrade. If an upgrade is required, then surely it wasn't working properly?

What is the upgrade doing, 'improving' an item that works exactly as it should and needs no improvement? Is the upgrade just a way to sell us something we don't actually need. Or, are components not functioning correctly without 'upgrading' and therefore defective? You can't have it both ways!

Seems like you're missing the point.

You can't put £1000 worth of psu into a product that sells for £100. just like you can't put a engine from a £200,000 Ferrari inside a Fiat that sells for £5,000.

there's nothing broken in a £100 psu, that's just what you get for £100.

Its just that the £500 is better.

If you want better performance open your wallet for it.

The reason psu's are often the apparently cost limited part is that they are easier to substitute within a design. Any tit can plug in a new psu. Designing an amplifier to have a swappable output stage would be an altogether more difficult task and that's why it doesn't happen.

There nothing wrong with the performance of a cheap psu, it performs as a cheap psu is expected to perform. It's just that more expensive psu's can be better, much better.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Grant.

Sure, everything is made to a price, or should I say, a profit. Better components dont always improve something but they often do.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jo.

Default 'O reason not the need!...'

Better power supplies are not needed in my opinion, none of us need upgraded power supplies: to me they are a luxury, so perhaps I think of them as desirable rather than necessary.

I'm not suggesting that every power upgrade is worthwhile, or even works for that matter, or that the benefits justify the cost. It is easy enough to come across add-on power supplies that cost nearly as much as or even more than the component they are designed to improve.

I'd argue that the originals are not necessarily 'inadequate' so much as 'may be improved upon', and in general I don't think that manufacturers are mistaken to provide an upgrade path for their products. I have the following luxury add-ons, some of which seem worth having, others less so:

* PSXRs [£450 each] supplying Cyrus amps, and while these power upgrades brought improvements, they did so at a hefty price. For me the benefits didn't justify the outlay. The power upgrades exceed 50% of each main unit's original price. I bought these units early on in my changing over from all in one audio units to hi-fi separates when I was careless of how much I spent. I would be far less likely to buy such items now, or at least I'd take them to on approval. In hindsight buying one secondhand PSXR would have been a much smarter thing to do. A costly lesson for me.

*A Rega TTP [£125], feeding a Rega RP3/Elys 24 combo [£500] a better cost to benefit ratio than the PSXRs, but still over 20% of the cost of the unit it is intended to enhance. In this case the improvements to the sound and the convenience of being to change speeds without having to take off the platter and adjusting the belt seemed worth it to me.

* A Caiman Mk II running off a 12v battery [£27] and the gain made there was definitely worth the modest outlay.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The Teddy Pardo article IMO goes quite a way to explain how better implementation of regulators and their circuits "should" lead to a less noisy supply. Would it cost a manufacturer vastly more to use something like this? I built several of his TeddyRegs and Powerregs some years ago after a group buy of the boards on PFM. I have to say that I did not notice a vast improvement in SQ, but then I probably didn't implement them in the best way. As Jez says "In many cases the external power supply is totally irrelevant. EVERYTHING is down to how the power is dealt with inside the main unit".
    Prior to fitting Teddyregs, My old budget Cambridge Audio 640v2 CD player was a bit thin sounding and a had a kind of closed-In 2d sort of sound. It got good reviews and I know some people thought It sounded just like any other CDP.
    After fitting Teddyregs and a PFM flea, It was much bigger and 3d sounding, with more detail. To me It was a big difference, but I can Imagine some people not hearing much of an Improvement.

I'm James.

Surely if you introduce a ' better' power supply it will only reap benefits with a 'better' mains lead?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Prior to fitting Teddyregs, My old budget Cambridge Audio 640v2 CD player was a bit thin sounding and a had a kind of closed-In 2d sort of sound. It got good reviews and I know some people thought It sounded just like any other CDP.
    After fitting Teddyregs and a PFM flea, It was much bigger and 3d sounding, with more detail. To me It was a big difference, but I can Imagine some people not hearing much of an Improvement.
    Yup. The power at Point Of Load is all that really matters. A good regulator, as close as possible to POL and of vast importance, correct grounding practice, is basically where it's at. Get all this right and whats upstream of it, PSU wise, is largely irrelevant

Because this (and most of the important stuff in fact) is not something which a layman can just "plug 'n play" it gets ignored by enthusiasts whilst "unplug the old one, plug in the new one and there yer go" foo gets pages of debate I guess on a site for non technical audiophiles that's how it is of course.... And I can't complain 'cos if everyone knew all this stuff and was competent to fit it I'd be out of a job!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    A good regulator, as close as possible to POL and of vast importance, correct grounding practice, is basically where it's at. Get all this right and whats upstream of it, PSU wise, is largely irrelevant
    I agree entirely. This is a fact often overlooked by audiophiles, or more likely they're completely unaware of the importance of correct grounding. The noise floor in a circuit can be worsened to a surprising degree just by having a wire or PCB track take the wrong path. At one extreme a circuit can barely work at all with a mis-routed track. At the other extreme, getting the details right can be the difference between perfectly OK performance and great performance.
    Doubling the size of the mains transformer is "brute force and ignorance" attempt to get great performance (in my opinion, of course).

I'm Edward.

Is there a way for us neophytes to test that grounding has been implemented correctly in our systems?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast