+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU Upgrades. Why?

I'm James.

There is a simple answer Geoff, Cost!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

Yep, cost, and building in an upgrade path to users a-la Naim.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This. The "hobby" of audio is no different than anything else, be it race cars, motor bikes etc. Everything as you already know, is built to a price point, and what one wants to do in order to "enhance" or improve upon it is usually down to more money and possibly tinkering if one is inclined to do so. The amount of improvement-if there is one, is down to the ear of the beholder. And their wallet.

I happen to own a few pieces of gear from Naim. And to read(or experience) about the power supply "upgrades" and the money one can spend on those is a bit over the top to me. I went down some of that path many years ago until I realized for me, that it can become about spending ridiculous amounts of money for little or maybe even no real benefit. Again, my ears, my money, spent or not. I think this very option though gets certain people that follow the agenda like sheep, to begin to doubt their own ears, and think of the next upgrade before the amp they just bought is even warmed up. FWIW
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Seems the point is still being missed.

If something is working properly it needs no upgrade. If an upgrade is required, then surely it wasn't working properly?

What is the upgrade doing, 'improving' an item that works exactly as it should and needs no improvement? Is the upgrade just a way to sell us something we don't actually need. Or, are components not functioning correctly without 'upgrading' and therefore defective? You can't have it both ways!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Seems the point is still being missed.

If something is working properly it needs no upgrade. If an upgrade is required, then surely it wasn't working properly?

What is the upgrade doing, 'improving' an item that works exactly as it should and needs no improvement? Is the upgrade just a way to sell us something we don't actually need. Or, are components not functioning correctly without 'upgrading' and therefore defective? You can't have it both ways!
    Think of it like car models - you buy either a basic 1.6 or a V8 turbo of the same model. They both do the same job to a a point but obviously there is a difference in performance and Cost!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Geoff.

Think of it like car models - you buy either a basic 1.6 or a V8 turbo of the same model. They both do the same job to a a point but obviously there is a difference in performance and Cost!
    Totally different. That's like comparing trainers to boots.

I'm talking about power supplies. An electric motor or an amplifier, etc., require the right current, voltage and so forth. Once they have that, they should work exactly as needed. Anything else is unnecessary.................Or is it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Totally different. I'm talking about power supplies. An electric motor or an amplifier, etc., require the right current, voltage and so forth. Once they have that, they should work exactly as needed. Anything else is unnecessary.................Or is it?
    If you don't understand the analogy I don,t think we are getting anywhere with this post.

I'm Geoff.

If you don't understand the analogy I don,t think we are getting anywhere with this post.
    Perhaps it's not "we"?

I'm Robert.

I'm no expert Geoff but it's about implementation.
    In basic terms - most manufacturers choose a simple approach that gets the job done, add to that cheaper electrical components.
    A better thought out / well implemented design coupled with better quality electrical components tends to result in the reduction of noise and being audio thus allowing more of the music to come through, unhindered, less coloured and so and so.......

I'm Timothy.

I would say Geoff, you have been in this "business" long enough and you already know the answer to your own question. Carry on.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast