+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    I once had a scruffy pair of Kef Kalinda's which some charming children (not mine) had kicked in the ABR'S.
    to get them working in a spareroom system I took out the busted units and replaced them with plywood blanks.

to my ears they sounded not half bad...a huge cab for just the 8" B200 to drive.
    I did keep my eyes open for a pair of the "driven" B139s with the idea of making a bodged 2 way kalinda but never happened....probably would have sounded ace!!

this was in the days when Klassic Kefs of this era sold for peanuts...the prices charged for the drivers today make me laugh.

NIGE.
    You could have replaced the ABR with a tuned reflex port in your plywood blank. It would have achieved the same end.

(I have two pairs of those KEF ABR's on a shelf right in front of me at the moment actually)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    Ithis was in the days when Klassic Kefs of this era sold for peanuts...the prices charged for the drivers today make me laugh.

NIGE.
    Funny you should say that as I just sold a near perfect pair of Calindas for fifty quid.

I know I could have made a lot more by breaking them but that would be criminal. They are now in someone's main system and being used and appreciated every day, hopefully they will run for at least another 40 years.

Comparable modern speakers bought new would cost well over a grand.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12