+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugh Roberts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Hugh.

Default Hugh Roberts

New member looking for some advice on speaker cables to use with Naim Nait 5 and B&W DM4 speakers

I'm Geoff.

Look at Van Damme cables. They are sensibly priced and decent sounding. Plenty on ebay, off the roll by the metre or made up with plugs.

Don't be tempted by QED Silver Anniversary. It will sound dreadful with the Naim amp and B&W speakers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugh.

Thanks for your reply. That looks a more reasonable price to the naim cables. I spoke to someone this morning who told me that the Naim cable is also very inflexible and one speaker wire has to go round a bay window. Are the Van Damme cables more flexible and will it make a big difference which one I use. I was also told that my B&W speakers will not get the best out of the Naim amp and I should consider changing these, amy opinion on this. I am not a hifi enthusiast but do listen to vinyl every day.
    Cheers

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Roberts View Post
    Thanks for your reply. That looks a more reasonable price to the naim cables. I spoke to someone this morning who told me that the Naim cable is also very inflexible and one speaker wire has to go round a bay window. Are the Van Damme cables more flexible and will it make a big difference which one I use. I was also told that my B&W speakers will not get the best out of the Naim amp and I should consider changing these, amy opinion on this. I am not a hifi enthusiast but do listen to vinyl every day.
    Cheers
    If you listen to all the nonsense spouted about Naim, you will drive yourself mad and be a lot poorer. Just use some Van Damme, which is every bit as good as Naim NACA and an awful lot less expensive. If you enjoy your present speakers, then keep them, they will work just fine with Naim.

I'm phil.

Keep the speakers there very good in my opinion
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Jez.

The DM4's are very good speakers of the BBC monitor type There are many modern speakers that will sound more "punchy", "full blooded" etc etc but not many as accurate as the DM4's...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

I'd suggest the Van Damme 'Studio' cable at a minimum of the 2.5mm core if you are considering a bit of a long run or even the 4mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME-...gAAOxy9MpSOyoF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-...kAAOSwwNVTsYnQ

If it was me. I'd pay the extra for the 4mm personally.

There is no reason to suppose the Naim cable might be superior.

I'm assuming you'll be fitting your own plugs. If not, a hunt about on ebay should source these cables already terminated.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

DM4's are quite nice, I'll probably annoy some people by saying to use 6A mains flex, unless runs are extremely long.

It was good enough for Peter Walker.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    DM4's are quite nice, I'll probably annoy some people by saying to use 6A mains flex, unless runs are extremely long.

It was good enough for Peter Walker.
    +1 and thicker twin and earth works great for longer runs. So long as the electrons don't notice the lack of a brand name they're perfectly happy

The DM4's are rather like Spendor BC1's with less bass really and very nice speakers.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    +1 and thicker twin and earth works great for longer runs. So long as the electrons don't notice the lack of a brand name they're perfectly happy

The DM4's are rather like Spendor BC1's with less bass really and very nice speakers.
    Yes, I have both DM4's and BC1's, also BC2's, LS3/6 and DM2's. They all have a lot in common. However the LS3/6 are my fav.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast