+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Geoff.

I should have added to my list.

Never again: Lowther speakers!

Definitely buy again: Mission 774 tonearm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Timothy.

Lets see here...a divorce about 13 years ago had me sell off all of a few systems and bits and pieces I had accumulated over quite a bit of time:

Naim:
    CDS2
    Nat-02
    Nac-82
    Supercap
    Snaxo-2/4
    Hi-Cap
    Nap-250 X 2
    Active SBL's
    Naim ARO

Dynavector 17D
    Linn LP-12/Valhalla

Pass Labs X-1 preamp
    Pass Labs X150 amp
    Wadia 302 CD player

Modified Magnepan MMG's
    REL T-3 subs X 2

ATC CA-2 preamp
    ATC SCM7
    ATC SCM 20-2A

I liked it all for various reasons, yet I wouldn't have the active Naim system back, maybe a few bits and pieces of it, but that is it. The rest I would take back in a New York minute, especially the Pass Labs and Wadia gear.

Needless to say, my bank account has never fully recovered, but I am a happier man. And I really do love the gear I have now, so no complaints!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Timothy.

I should add another bit of gear I had back in the early 80's that was just meh...But I strike it up to being heavily and easily persuaded at the time by dealer...

Carver C-4000 control console/preamp
    Carver C-500 power amp

The power amp was the better piece of the two, to my ears as time would go, neither was stellar. Fun, but nothing special in the sonics department.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Paul.

Never buy again :- All my A/V gear wish I had stuck with 2 channel.
    What would I like to own again:- Had a truly stunning Beard P50 power amp (lovely KT88 valves), and partnered with Beard P500 pre-amp, I believe all silver soldered. sold those to be one of the first buyer of the Beard BB100 integrated which was finished in gold and was truly a bling thing with the cage off and the valves alight, and finally my turntable which was an Oracle Audio Delphi VI Turntable adapted to take an SME series V Tonearm.
    All of which I would love to own again.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Howard.

Interesting post. We did a quick poll in the office and this is what we came up with.

Neil

Regret selling, in no particular order:

• Meridian 107 power amp
    • Beard P100 mono power amps
    • Beveridge RM1 preamp
    • Pink Triangle with Breuer 8 Dynamic tonearm and EMT cartridge
    • Lecson HL1 horn speakers
    • Spendor BC3 speakers
    • Dynavector cartridges
    • Dynavector DV505 II tonearm
    • A stacked pair of JBL Century 100 speakers
    • Any Colin Wonfor-designed electronics
    • LFD Dac3
    • LFD PA3 mono power amps
    • JBE deck with the Dynavector DV505 II tonearm
    • Lentek transmission monitors (The Bert Webb era)
    • An original A&R A60

Happy to never see again

• Anything by Nytech ie their early stuff
    • Tresham power amp
    • Hadcock original tone arm
    • Naim active speakers; probably their first attempt
    • Linn Sara speakers
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 14-08-2017 at 15:14.
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

Stacked JBL L100s? That must have ben fun.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well yes, in terms of visceral thrill they were astonishing. However ... in terms of some audiophile aspirations such as depth of image, width of image, ability to provide detail at low volumes and so on, they were near hopeless. But, the experiment did provide a personal yardstick in that for the first time in my room I got a very respectable full height image. Since then, the majority of speaker systems have - for me - been deficient in this respect. i didn't realise how important this was, until then.

For hard rock, blues, blues-rock and some types of jazz the overall experience was very pleasurable. However, the merciless mangling of, for example, classical piano works by Bach and Mozart was astounding.
    Well, hello.

I'm Gareth.

DID buy again
    Logitech Transporter: Bought a used one for a bargain price, sold it earlier this year for a profit and regretted it. Then paid more to import a NOS SE version from the States
    Jolida Glass FX DAC III: Again bought a used one, sold it to reduce box count and regretted it. Purchased a fully-pimped version from Robert (Opendoor) end of last year. Keeping hold of this one (for the time being at least)

Would buy again
    Auralic Aries Mini: Upgrade to the Altair not being fully utilised
    Oppo 105EU: Again the upgrade to the Oppo 205 not being fully utilised and I'm still reeling from the cost

Wouldn't bother with again
    Oppo HA-SE2
    Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC
    Meridian Explorer2 DAC
    Sennheiser Momentum 1.0/2.0 on-ear/2.0 over-ear

Nothing particularly wrong with any of the above, I'm simply not an indoor headphone user. Just took a while to understand that.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Erm. I know what these sound like. Perhaps 'exciting' might be a better word than fun.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    Well yes, in terms of visceral thrill they were astonishing. However ... in terms of some audiophile aspirations such as depth of image, width of image, ability to provide detail at low volumes and so on, they were near hopeless. But, the experiment did provide a personal yardstick in that for the first time in my room I got a very respectable full height image. Since then, the majority of speaker systems have - for me - been deficient in this respect. i didn't realise how important this was, until then.

For hard rock, blues, blues-rock and some types of jazz the overall experience was very pleasurable. However, the merciless mangling of, for example, classical piano works by Bach and Mozart was astounding.
    I can guess the flaws as you say. I just have a soft spot for the Century as they were a constituent of the first really good system I ever heard and what got me into hi-fi as well as just music.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast