+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. Bit messy de-potting and re-potting the rectifiers. Which I've done a couple of times. Kept mine a year or two, but went back to Tannoys.
    The early versions had the EHT units potted in wax, later versions used bitumen. Generally the biggest killer of the diodes used in the Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier is the repeated switching on and off of the speakers. Apart from one house move and a few power cuts, my 57s have been constantly energised for the last forty years. They only consume 6W.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Mine were bitumen.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Radio plays off BBC Radio 4 can sound absolutely superb. I often enjoy listening to them. As I do with the recitation of poetry. In fact the presentation of the human voice via Quads is so good, it really annoys me that the continuity announcers on BBC now sound so unnaturally "chesty". Standards have slipped at the Beeb, or maybe they are now balanced to sound 'correct' on the tiny speakers of modern radios and personal stereos.
    I was listening to radio 2 via the PC a few days ago and certainly got the impression that there was some non to subtle bass boost going on yes....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Michael.

Nothing wrong with Tannoy speakers I have 2 pairs of the award winning V1 sound wonderful to me in fact as I listen I think of Louise Minchin ( BBC breakfast ) in black lace bra black lace panties and black suspenders

I'm Shaun.

Oh dear, I'll never look at Louise Munchkin the same again

I'm Adrian.

Should never have sold...
    KEF R107 Reference speakers
    First Audio Second monoblock amps
    .... Synergy....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Beard CA506 pre-amp amp and P100 mk2 power. Exposure 6/7 and super 8 amplifiers, B&W 801, Ruark Templar, Talisman2 and Crusader 2 speakers. Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace tt, Audio Technica OC9 3 cartridge. All fab stuff and the best i have owned.

Bullshit stuff bought on a whim that I was most disappointed with... linn Kaber speakers, Garrard 301 and 401 turntable. Origin Live Encounter tonearm in fact all Origin Live products I have owned. Musical Fidelity A1001 amp (utter shite) Kimber select interconnects.
    Intrigued by your thoughts re the MF A1001 Floyddroid: in what way(s) did if fail to satisfy? I ask because I had one from new and lived happily with it for 15 years. Proved more than adequate for driving the KEF Reference Series One with which it was paired and capable of relaying plenty of low level detail and ambience at modest listening levels and real dynamics and slam at higher levels when the recording and performance required it. Also pleasingly agnostic with regards to the musical genre (and source for that matter). I know that MF had, and perhaps still have, problems with their QC from time to time, but it seems odd that we should have developed such disparate opinions of the A1001.

Jon

I'm Dennis.

My apologies to Tannoy fans, my experience is limited to Lancaster Gold 15"s, and the HPD follower, Berkley I believe.

Yes the Beeb's quality can be good, but only can, and IMO R2 is better on speech by far than R4, and even R3 on Late Junction.

I'm Russell.

Years ago, in the mid 80's, I bought a full rack of Sansui gear. A hundred watt integrated, tuner, tape deck, CD player! A turntable, and speakers. What a pile of junk! It came with a 5 year warranty, from the local electronics supermarket, and every piece of it landed in the shop within the 5 years. They never could get the speakers to work right, and they were hollow boxes with no separation between elements. Sounded horrendous. As soon as the warranty ran out I sold it all, and bought some real stereo.

I got an Adcom 555 and matching pre/tuner, some Vandersteen 2c's, and a Sony ES CD player, and Denon record player. Not all at once mind you, I was a struggling carpenter at the time, and bought one piece per year. Filling in with yard sale junk until I had it fleshed out. And I never upgraded that setup for 28 years! I gave it to my daughter and son in law, and have never regretted buying any of it! And I would recommend any of it to anyone trying to get into Hi Fi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Without a doubt I regret selling my Voyd. 5 and concordant excelsior pre + second audio's with Border Patrol psu's, would be sublime with the Avatar's I have now.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast