+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Shane.

Just a tiny bit more.

Buy again.

Icon Audio Stereo 20SE. (KT88)
    KEF Reference Model One.
    SD Acoustics SD1.
    Audiolab 8200CD.
    Darkvoice 336i/SE.
    Cyrus 8VS2/PSX-R.
    Cyrus One.
    Mission 751.
    Quad 405/44.

Feck off's.

Cambridge Audio Topaz CD Player.
    BTE Passive Preamp.
    Albarry Passive Preamp.
    Croft Micro Basic 25.
    Rega RP1.
    Linn Classik.

S.

I'm Dave.

Would like to try (maybe own) again:
    Quad 909 - superb mid range, magical on voices with some recordings
    JLH 80W mosfet amps (DIY) - wish I'd kept these, not sure how good they would be compared to my current stuff but very fond memories of these (with modified power supplies)
    Active Linn Ninka system - would like to heaar them again. Jekyl and Hyde speaker - great on some recordings dire on others
    ES14s - I remember mine sounding fabulous (with the JLH80 and a Sondek). Heard them a few times since and they sounded OK to poor.
    Cambridge Audio CD2 - had 2 of these. One of the best CDPs ever for sound, not for build quality and reliability. A mate still has one that works and it sounds superb.

Crap:
    Quad 606II - British built one, sounded poor compared to the Chinese built 909
    Various cables (but not all of them)
    Linn Ninka active system
    DIY Proac Reference 2.5 - all the rage a few years back. Taught me that it's nigh on impossible to mate an 8" mid/bass with a 3/4" tweeter. Also taught me that I don't like the Scanspeak carbon sound.
    Harbeth P3ESR (borrowed , not owned) - can't understand the hype about these!
    Leak ST20 - underpowered, ginger looks, forward midrange. Amazing for 50 odd years old but outclassed in every way by my KT88 amp
    Cambridge 840C CDP - nicely built but such a bland sound (compared to a CD2)
    Cambridge Audio 840P - bland sound especially with the rumble filter engaged, which removes any impression of ambience or scale to recordings
    PASS Aleph 30 (DIY) - possibly the most unmusical amp I have ever built, and I've built a lot!
    Pass preamp (DIY, cannot remember the exact model) - just rubbish
    Philips CD723 (highly modded) - another flavour of the month "giant killer". Turd polishing, perhaps even trodden-on turd polishing

I'm sure there must be plenty more, especailly of the "giant Killer" variety, but I still enjoy the DIY stuff (my system is >90% DIY). I have minimal interest in commercail stuff nowadays.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    d
    Harbeth P3ESR (borrowed , not owned) - can't understand the hype about these!
    No accounting for taste, of course, but I love the sound of my little Harbeths. I listen to mine in very close field, and, to me, they get everything right. I have a subwooofer hooked up to beef up the bass, but rarely feel the need to use it.

I'm Jon.

Regret buying (back in the day):

Garrard 86SB - quickly replaced by a Pioneer PL-12D (modest improvement in sound but major improvement in aesthetics, build-quality and reliability)

Dual 604 (DD) - at the time, for the same money I could have purchased a Thorens TD-160/SME-3009, but the Dual was in stock and the lead time for the Thorens was 3 - 4 weeks. What can I say, back then I was young and impetuous

Linn Helix LS-150 and LK-20 - ghastly, lifeless speakers that sucked the life out of any music played through them. Should have trusted my ears and not the 'Flat-Earth' dealer's hyperbole.

Regret loosing (back in the day):

Rogers Cadet III and Phillips GA-212/GP-400 - 'requisitioned' by my old man when he walked out on us unexpectedly on Christmas Day 1975.

Arcam Delta-250 Transport - sold for funds to purchase a Musical Fidelity A3.2 as part of my then fascination for all things MF. Should have kept it and purchased a better DAC.

Jon :-)

I'm Steve.

Electrocompaniet amps had a few never again rubbish

There best was a class A old one from the 90s

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post

The Electrocompaniet "The Two Channel Amplifier" was exceptional. A commercial realisation of the Loestrom and Otala design published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, it was heavily biased towards Class A, ran hot, was not known for its reliability - and was a dream amp with which to drive Quad 57 ESLs.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post

I've heard a couple of EC amps in comparative sessions, and they seemed remarkably lifeless to me, just dynamically bland.
    A friend swears by the old 25wpc pure class A EC amp, though - maybe the one you mention.
    -- edit: probably the one Barry mentioned while I was typing my post!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Electrocompaniet "The Two Channel Amplifier" was exceptional. A commercial realisation of the Loestrom and Otala design published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, it was heavily biased towards Class A, ran hot, was not known for its reliability - and was a dream amp with which to drive Quad 57 ESLs.
    Yes that was the one I started with there newer stuff is crap.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    DIY Proac Reference 2.5 - all the rage a few years back. Taught me that it's nigh on impossible to mate an 8" mid/bass with a 3/4" tweeter. Also taught me that I don't like the Scanspeak carbon sound.
    To be fair It was either a crossover problem or the breakup from the midbass driver that was causing the problems. Breakup from a hard cone driver sounds horrible. It's a myth that can't cross an 8" midbass to a 3/4" tweeter. You just need the right midbass driver and the right crossover.

I'm Simon.

Stuff I miss.
    Apogee centaurs
    Kef ref 203 mk2,
    Epos es14
    Weiss 202 dac.
    Naim aro

Stuff I don't miss
    Cd17 kis.
    DV carts.
    Tannoys
    Rega p5
    Lp12
    840c CD
    naim superline
    Linn uphorik
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast