+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Michael.

One big expensive mistake I made was trading in a Logic DM101 with an FR arm for a Linn LP12,Ittok,Asak. Sold the Linn and replaced it with a Townsend Rock Ref which was far more accurate to my ears. I've never regretted selling anything in HiFi I have to say. I have paid good money for gear I've not got on with in the long run. Shahinian Compass speakers come to mind and AE 2's with their foam surrounds that rot in no time are others. Amps I have owned but not enjoyed include Nytech 252 Receiver and Linn Clout power amp.

I'm Jez.

Logic DM101 is a great TT. A mate has used one with a Mission 774 on it for decades and never felt the need to change it... and nor would I.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    ... I only bought the second one I owned because I couldn't believe the first one was so bad. Sadly the second was no different.
    Ha! -- I did that exact same thing with AKG 701 headphones. Great reviews - I must have had a duff pair. Couldn't stand them 2nd time 'round either.

Very few out & out "Thank gawd that's gone" disasters, but these would qualify ....

Klipsch Heresy speakers. My goodness. Heresy, indeed!
    Horning Zeus small floorstander speakers. Unspeakably coloured.
    Linn Unidisk universal digital disc spinner. Boppy and light and insubstantial. Truly unmusical.
    ProAc Future Point 5 speakers. Wow, this fine firm took a wrong turning on this top of the line series!

I wish I could say Tannoys - but I've never been daft enough to own any.

--

I've never regretted selling anything that I can think of -- onwards, ever onwards!

I'm Shane.

The K701's I have sound very open and lucid. They have a reputation for having very lean tight bass.

S.

I'm Dan.

I've never regretted what i have sold....but im sure my dad has so here goes

Pye Mozart X2 - came at separate times
    Pye HF10
    Tannoy Cheviot - X3 i know he's had
    Tannoy Berkeley
    Tannoy IILZ
    Leak Stereo 20 ,
    SME 3012
    Goldring G88 X2
    Quad II's -
    Garrard 301 - Hadcock Tonearm
    Thorens TD124 MKII - SME 3009
    Wharfedale Dovedale's
    Quad ESL 57's including the ones he was given by movement audio in the early 00's i remember them..
    Leak TL12 + Boxed he got from the Millhams tip ...
    Rogers Cadet 2 Power , Pre & Matching Tuner - Bought from Poole tip sold to a friend for £50 he's always regretted this too the friend recently sold it and went for nearly £450...

Plus a lot more i will have to ask....Including Various other Tannoys , Quad , Leak ,
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Dennis.

I have never really liked the quads because of the need to place them out in the room, and the bass compromise, and it is one of my absolute needs that they go against the wall. I don't really like B&W stuff much either.

Very interesting the wide disparity of taste, given that we and the equipment all have the same objective.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have never really liked the quads because of the need to place them out in the room, and the bass compromise, and it is one of my absolute needs that they go against the wall. I don't really like B&W stuff much either.

Very interesting the wide disparity of taste, given that we and the equipment all have the same objective.
    Not surprising, as none of it is perfect.

I adore my Quad 57s. Had them for over forty years and have absolutely no intention of changing them. I also like my B&W DM2As (picked up for £50), but can't really comment on their absolute sound quality as they are only used for AV duties.

Regrets:

Not buying a Leak Stereo 20 for £25.

Selling my Revox G36 (aka 736) reel-to-reel machine that I had bought previously for £25.

Not buying a Studer C37 reel-to-reel machine in excellent condition, complete with level meters for £800.

Not buying a Decca 'Professional' arm with Decca Mk. III head.

Missing out on the sale of a Transfiguration 'Orpheus' cartridge.

Missing out on the sale of a mint, unused Decca SC4E cartridge.

What would I never buy again?

Decca London 'International' arm. Very poorly made; never got round to fitting it and sold it on for a profit.

That's all I can think of. Most of my gear has been very good and I have not regretted buying any of it. If I have sold some of it on, it was because it has been superceeded by, IMO, better gear.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Most of us here will have been through a quantity of Hi-Fi equipment. What is there that you moved on and thought, 'thank gawd that's gone' and what nice item did you sell and knew you should have kept?

Items I should have kept:

All my Leak Stereo 20 power amps. They are gems that just make music.

Meridian 206 CD player. Again, it just makes music.

Tannoy Eaton speakers. A true classic dual concentric Tannoy in a manageable box. Had five pairs and still miss them.

Cartridges, Decca 4RC, Ortofon SPU and Technics EPC-305MC, they were superb!

A Trio KA-2000a amp. Dinky, unassuming little unit from the early seventies that sounds as good as a Sugden A21a.

I dare say I could add more.
    And an FR 201 as well!
    Barry

I'm Ian.

Strangely I wish I'd not sold my first pair of Naim SBL's. I remember them as sounding lovely so I bought another pair this year and although I tried my best with them they just sounded horrid so would love to know if my first ones were as good as I remember. Also my first Toshiba SR-370, wouldn't have wasted so much money before buying another.

Wouldn't have another LP12, quite like the sound but hate all the Linn nonsense.

Slightly off topic my biggest regret was selling my Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitar with Kent Armstrong modified pick-ups. The best bass I've ever played. Why o why did I part with it
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Shane.

Some more.

Buy again.

Sennheiser HD600.
    Audio Note Oto.
    Naim Nait 5i.
    Exposure 2010S Integrated.
    Mission 752 Freedom.
    Shanling CDT-100.
    Modded Sony PS1.

Feck off's.

Audio Note AZ-Two.
    Rega Ela.
    CMoy Headphone amp.
    Creek Headphone amp.
    Roksan Kandy CD Player.
    Icon Audio Stereo 20PP.
    Naim CD5XS.
    Naim NAC A5.
    Sugden Masterclass HA-4.
    Audio Note ISIS Mains Lead.....Didn't improve my tea/coffee.
    Tannoy System 600/800.
    Lowther speakers.

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast