+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Shaun.

There is one thing I definitely will agree on though regarding valves and trannies. I have used a 600 Watt studio amp before, tranny of course, and the bass performance was gut wrenching and staggering in its effortless power. Now for electronic music that sound was completely awesome but I am afraid that for me, the midrange always wins out and there valves win every time.

I'm Grant.

i must have been lucky as I dont have a long list of stuff I wouldnt buy again. only the 2 currently come to mind. Thats not to say I would swap stuff back but just I wouldnt feel overly cheated if I had to
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    There is one thing I definitely will agree on though regarding valves and trannies. I have used a 600 Watt studio amp before, tranny of course, and the bass performance was gut wrenching and staggering in its effortless power. Now for electronic music that sound was completely awesome but I am afraid that for me, the midrange always wins out and there valves win every time.
    I have had similar experiences and I share your conclusions. Neil
    Well, hello.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    I have had similar experiences and I share your conclusions. Neil
    It's good that we agree Neil but I do understand that our individual appreciation of how our music is represented is totally personal to each of us. Clearly they were my findings over a period of thirty years or so and clearly you share those findings. For me, valves have a quite unique sound all of their own which again for me make them way superior to transistors. They do not though have that gut wrenching bass excitement. I made my final decision late last year.

I'm Steven.

It's good that we agree Neil but I do understand that our individual appreciation of how our music is represented is totally personal to each of us. Clearly they were my findings over a period of thirty years or so and clearly you share those findings. For me, valves have a quite unique sound all of their own which again for me make them way superior to transistors. They do not though have that gut wrenching bass excitement. I made my final decision late last year.
    I fully appreciate your point, it is personal. Valves just don't give a full range sound with most modern speakers as they are just too insensitive, for the obvious and basic reason that solid state watts are cheap. The economics of getting high sensitivity speakers to run a low powered valve amplifier make no sense to me. With good 86db speakers and oodles of power, there is no need to compromise and I don't miss my Class A 300B-XLS amp one bit. When I think what is cost it makes me want to cry.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I agree with Shaun about running hot, spit would just bubble on the heatsinks, but the reliability of mine was very good. However I did not stick with Nelson-Jones' layout and made mine less compact.

Its bass was tighter than both the Lowther and the 303, and the top better than the 405, but the mid not so.
    Built in '72, largely whilst stoned, it ran until I sold it to an ex girl friend in '92 and AFAIK ran on.

My experience Barry with Mullard 5-10s was with RS transformers, only a lucky few got Partridges.
    Whilst I had built several valve amps in my youth, for some reason I feel no compulsion to build any more power amps, but I could be interested in building a preamp or phono stage using either hybrid technology or Nuvistor or miniature wire-ended valves.

The Nelson-Jones design had an excellent specification; one of the reasons why I was attracted to building it and to Class A circuitry in general. Each output power transistor was mounted on its own, widely spaced, vertical 4" x 4" finned heatsink (having a thermal resistance of, I think, 0.5degC/W), yet the amp still ran hot. A problem with all Class A designs.

I still have most of the components available to rebuild it, but I now use Quad 57s and find 10W capacity insufficient to drive them properly.

Likewise my direct experience of the Quad 303 has only been with Quad 57s. You are not alone in finding the 303 lacking (though interestingly the BBC used hundreds of them) - Jez Arkless of this parish is of like mind. But there is a synergy in performance with the 303 driving Quad 57s: at low frequencies the output capacitor of the 303 resonates with the inductance of the input transformer of the speaker, which not only flattens the speaker impedance curve but extends the low frequency response. It is interesting to speculate whether Peter Walker knew of it - I suspect he did.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    I fully appreciate your point, it is personal. Valves just don't give a full range sound with most modern speakers as they are just too insensitive, for the obvious and basic reason that solid state watts are cheap. The economics of getting high sensitivity speakers to run a low powered valve amplifier make no sense to me. With good 86db speakers and oodles of power, there is no need to compromise and I don't miss my Class A 300B-XLS amp one bit. When I think what is cost it makes me want to cry.
    Ah but the sound I get from my current sound system when compared to over thirty years worth of systems proves that it is not a compromise in your terms. The only way big valve power amps fall down is in expense. Come to think of it, so do big trannie amps.

I'm Steven.

Ah but the sound I get from my current sound system when compared to over thirty years worth of systems proves that it is not a compromise in your terms. The only way big valve power amps fall down is in expense. Come to think of it, so do big trannie amps.
    I had a system with Quad QMP, MDAC+, Vinyl 1 Ref phono amp, and other bits and bobs. Selling the whole lot and replacing with Devialet Pro 250 left me cash in hand and significantly better sound. I had previously traded down from a £6,000 (second hand) top notch valve amp (sold for £4,500) to the QMP that cost £1,500. The QMP were better than the valve amp, but not up to the Devialet.
    The Devialet is so good it has completely cured me of audiophilia and I only popped in here to edit a sale tread now sold!

I would add that Harbeth stopped me worrying about speakers ever again.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Dennis.

I agree Brian the spec was very good, especially for the time, but it had three coupling caps in the path, and direct coupling was soon to follow - Lecson AP1 and Quad 405 also I believe.

Using the NJ with my first ESS Heils, and on Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries, it superimposed a sense of real HF speed which was not apparent on other amps, and which Jez has attributed to TIM. Several people said the there was "something there that shouldn't be there".

I haven't used a valve amp since '74, and feel that SS amps are now so good as to be pretty well ignored as near perfect.
    A friend has Benchmarks, the specs and sound are stunning.

I'm Shaun.

Unfortunately, every trannie amplifier I have listened to since 1978 with the exception of the Musical Fidelity 'Dr Thomas' totally lacks the liquid purity of midrange that a valve amplifier has in shovel loads. There is simply no comparison in midrange where transistors and valves are concerned. That purity and fluidity is unsurpassed and when regarding the high excessive cost of valve amplifiers, really good trannie amps are just as costly. The difference of course is that the market is flooded with cheap, nasty trannie amps of very low cost and performance. The same is not true of valve amps numerically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast