+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    only thing comes to ind is the MF A1000 I would def have again. top amp.

agin... well I wouldnt have the mission 782 floorstander again.. Good sounding speaker but more trouble than worth..

edit.. thought of another no... a whest phono...
    +1 for the West. Very poor in comparison to much less expensive designs. I had a top of the range jobbie a few years back and had nothing but trouble with it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've heard that from several people.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    For me the best test of the midrange is the human voice. That's why the BBC had to develop their own speakers, as most commercial designs were found wanting.
    yep the human voice is the sound we, as human beings, recognise most acutely

Something I noticed with Quad ESL57's was that one could be startled by the sheer realism of human voice from a good tuner on the likes of radio 4 when it was actually turned down pretty low.. that and some "sounds off" on radio plays etc, when one had the system just running in the background.. It was just so real sounding that the whole hi-fi-brain thing was out of the window and you could get that "fight or flight" thing for an instance, thinking there was somebody in the room with you.. Spooky!

I do intend to own a pair some day, these were a mates, that I heard regularly... I've refurbished all the electronics in 2 pairs without ever owning a pair
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 18-08-2017 at 23:11.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    yep the human voice is the sound we, as human beings, recognise most acutely
    Especially when the wife is 'going into one'!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Beard CA506 pre-amp amp and P100 mk2 power. Exposure 6/7 and super 8 amplifiers, B&W 801, Ruark Templar, Talisman2 and Crusader 2 speakers. Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace tt, Audio Technica OC9 3 cartridge. All fab stuff and the best i have owned.

Bullshit stuff bought on a whim that I was most disappointed with... linn Kaber speakers, Garrard 301 and 401 turntable. Origin Live Encounter tonearm in fact all Origin Live products I have owned. Musical Fidelity A1001 amp (utter shite) Kimber select interconnects.

I'm Geoff.

I do intend to own a pair some day, these were a mates, that I heard regularly... I've refurbished all the electronics in 2 pairs without ever owning a pair
    Yes. Bit messy de-potting and re-potting the rectifiers. Which I've done a couple of times. Kept mine a year or two, but went back to Tannoys.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. Bit messy de-potting and re-potting the rectifiers. Which I've done a couple of times. Kept mine a year or two, but went back to Tannoys.
    I don't know how Tannoy's and Quad ESL57's can be compared personally... and in case of doubt I'm firmly on the Quad side! I'll admit to not having heard enough different sets of big Tannoy's, under the best circumstances, but from what I have heard I just find them far too coloured personally. Each to their own and all that
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

montesquieu Guest

I don't know how Tannoy's and Quad ESL57's can be compared personally... and in case of doubt I'm firmly on the Quad side! I'll admit to not having heard enough different sets of big Tannoy's, under the best circumstances, but from what I have heard I just find them far too coloured personally. Each to their own and all that
    Like everything Jez, depends on the implementation.

I'm gone.

Nope, Tannoys are always shite.

The modded / rebuilt ones by Paul RFC are by far the best I have heard - he does a pretty creditable job of de-Tannoying them. But at the end of the day they still do sound like Tannoys.
    Of course, some folks love them for that very reason.
    Last edited by jandl100; 19-08-2017 at 06:50.

I'm Dennis.

I agree with Jez about the human voice being a reference, for evolutionary reasons, but it does require that it is recorded well, and current BBC offerings are usually poor; proximity problems, off axis, 'inside a warbrobe' sounds.

I also agree with what he says about Tannoys vs Quads, very different animals, and the Tannoys are coloured. When at the Beeb an accomplis bought 57s, and regretted it because they couldn't do rock effectively, but Tannoys fail with acoustic music, although they do go loud.

I break down speakers into two heritage categories; tish-boom loud, and smooth boring. The former include early JBLs, Tannoys, NS1000s, and the latter, BBC monitors, (though very revealing at the time), KEFs, Rogers and others. (Tannoys originated as PA equipment).

To me these extremes are now being brought together, the advantages of each being retained inbetween the extremes much more.

There is a file of Alan Shaw and Derek Hughes in the BBC anechoic chamber recorded on very high quality stuff just before it was demolished, available on the Harbeth site..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast