+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you never buy again? What would you like to own again?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Buy again.

Sony CDP-X777ES.
    Linn Karik III.
    Grado SR80/325.
    Rega Apollo-R.
    Neat Petite III.
    Acoustic Energy AE1.
    Naim CD3.5.
    Audio Analogue Puccini SE.
    Leak Stereo 20.
    Quad 303/405.
    Townshend Elite Rock.
    Sonneteer Campion.
    Audio Innovation Series 500.
    Audio Note Meishu.
    Audio Note AN-J.
    TDL Reference Monitors.
    Sugden A21a.
    Musical Fidelity A1.

Feck off's.

Naim CDX.
    Arcam CD7SE.
    Graham Slee Novo Headphone amp.
    Naim Nait 1.
    All NVA stuff. Their speakers are absolutely shit to my ears.
    Musical Fidelity X-Can V2.
    All the Royd Speakers......Vile!!

If I can think of anymore, will post.

S.
    Slightly off topic but what happened to that original early '70's Sugden A21 you bought from me? I don't recall you ever mentioning having put it to use...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Most of us here will have been through a quantity of Hi-Fi equipment. What is there that you moved on and thought, 'thank gawd that's gone' and what nice item did you sell and knew you should have kept?

Here's a few of mine.

Stuff I didn't get on with:

Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk.II speakers, highly regarded, but I just could not get them sounding quite right in my system.

The several Cambridge A60 and NAD 3020 integrated amps that came my way. Despite their enthusiastic following, I just found them dull and thick.

B&W speakers. I've owned a few older models and have heard many others, but B&W just don't 'click' with me.

Rega RB250 and RB300 tonearms. I just don't like the sound.

Items I should have kept:

All my Leak Stereo 20 power amps. They are gems that just make music.

Meridian 206 CD player. Again, it just makes music.

Tannoy Eaton speakers. A true classic dual concentric Tannoy in a manageable box. Had five pairs and still miss them.

Cartridges, Decca 4RC, Ortofon SPU and Technics EPC-305MC, they were superb!

A Trio KA-2000a amp. Dinky, unassuming little unit from the early seventies that sounds as good as a Sugden A21a.

I dare say I could add more.
    +1

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    ... are more transparent, and also very accurate and revealing.
    Dennis, if you want transparency you ought to buy the Quad electrostatics that are up for sale on here.
    If you haven't got the room then make it.

The ESL57's are the one item I will never give up.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Dennis, if you want transparency you ought to buy the Quad electrostatics that are up for sale on here.
    If you haven't got the room then make it.
    I agree. They are probably the most revealing and transparent speaker ever made. And by revealing I don't mean bright, I mean you can actually hear more of everything than is normally experienced.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Slightly off topic but what happened to that original early '70's Sugden A21 you bought from me? I don't recall you ever mentioning having put it to use...

I used the A21 for a couple months with AN-J speakers. Sold it last winter to raise money for something else.

S.

I'm Andy.

Good thread this! Making me nostalgic. Isobariks probs top of my "would have" list. The "wouldn't" list would likely fill a phone book.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Good thread this! Making me nostalgic. Isobariks probs top of my "would have" list. The "wouldn't" list would likely fill a phone book.
    Hmm.. they would top my "wouldn't touch it with a bargepole" list along with early Linn amplifiers.. We're all different I guess...

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Hmm.. they would top my "wouldn't touch it with a bargepole" list along with early Linn amplifiers.. We're all different I guess...
    Id be the first to recognise that in some respects they could be seen as awful. In others, I just find them enthralling. Plus I love the look of them.

LP12 would probably be on my "wouldn't have" list though. I've enjoyed many other decks more.

I'm Adam.

I wouldn't touch a Connoisseur BD1 with a barge pole. I only bought the second one I owned because I couldn't believe the first one was so bad. Sadly the second was no different.

As to stuff I'd have again, there isn't a huge amount, as if it's that good, I've still got it. I have bought second examples of the Technics SL-P1200 and RS-9900 as I shouldn't have sold the first ones!

That said, I wish I hadn't sold my uncle's EMI EPU-100 arm and pickup heads. That was a silly decision.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Jez.

The only thing I've REALLY regretted selling was my Leak Stereo 20.... Luckily the same friend who gave me the first one gave me a "build yourself a good Stereo 20 out of these two" gift several years later. I'd never part with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast