+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crown XLS Drive Core Pro Amps

I'm Michael.

Default Crown XLS Drive Core Pro Amps

Has anyone tried any of the Crown XLS series Pro Amps in a domestic HIFI set up and if so what were the results? Ta guys!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I worry that some of them (can't remember which without looking) are Class D, which may be a downer for low level but high quality domestic use. If high power is needed for low cost, these might be superb though.

I have to say, these days at this price and for domestic use, I'd take a gander at the pro Yamaha models, as I remember earlier versions (pre massive price hike!!!) have been praised for their sonic performance...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm tony.

Havent tried the crown but on the same path bought a Berringer a500 figuring big power for minimal outlay-not too impressive IMHO. Still have one fully functioning and one with one channel that works. If your near Glasgow?

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Havent tried the crown but on the same path bought a Berringer a500 figuring big power for minimal outlay-not too impressive IMHO. Still have one fully functioning and one with one channel that works. If your near Glasgow?
    I'm a long way from Glasgow but have to admit to owning an A500 myself which I keep as a spare amp. A friend of mine has an interest in the Crown XLS series and a guy that he knows really rates the XLS 2502 model in his system. My friend has an interest in active speakers and it's the DSP that's offered with the XLS series that has piqued his interest. He's good at designing and making his own speakers, the problem is the cost of HiFi amps when you need two stereo for a two way system and three stereo amps for a three way.

I'm tony.

Chip amps offer IMHO far better sound per pound . might be worth a look in a multi amp set up....

I'm gone.

I had an XLS1500 for a while - recommended by someone who said it beat his £5k (iirc) amp.

Meh, a bit boring really. (Not at all tiring, though, except for the boredom).
    It wasn't bad, as such, just not very good.
    Life is too short for boring hifi!

And it didn't sound anything like as powerful as its rated power would imply.

Not really recommended, imo.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I had an XLS1500 for a while - recommended by someone who said it beat his £5k (iirc) amp.

Meh, a bit boring really. (Not at all tiring, though, except for the boredom).
    It wasn't bad, as such, just not very good.
    Life is too short for boring hifi!

And it didn't sound anything like as powerful as its rated power would imply.

Not really recommended, imo.
    Ok, thanks for that Jerry. That seems to be the general opinion unless there's anyone else with a view au contraire.

+ Reply to Thread