+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tannoy Prestige Stirling Gold Reference Opinions

I'm Grant.

Whizzers are usually stiffer and have a stiffer connection to the voice coil. They start lower down than you might think..probably 3khz or so depending and kinda can take over past 7khz. They can buzz like buggery too. Ive got 2 sets and the smaller fane ones are fairly good actually. The big 12" ones needed a little mod.lol. The difference in stiffness i think is what produces the crossover. Prefer a better, lower power driver personally..you can alway bang a tweeter in if you want extra highs.
    Ive recently added a small set of actives to mine and feed them together from the pre. Might sound odd but it sounds great as the actives take a rca sub too. Once the levels are adjusted right they blend seemlessly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

I try to be logical in all things - and my leaning to a single driver is based on zero crossover to mess things up, no phase anomalies etc. It's about purity (hence electrostatics have been considered but can't be accommodated according to accepted wisdom). My ANe SPX will be hard to beat - they are pretty seamless thanks to the tweeter cut off being pretty low - but I'd like even better imaging - hence point source.

This is so difficult when I can't audition - but research and my instincts have, with the exception of a Jolida pre , given me the expected rewards along my journey.
    But it's a nightmare, I'm not rich and have a budget of around 15k for upgrades. Ideally I want a Reed arm from Hugo as well as another Allaerts cart - and I'd prefer NEW speakers (unless bought from a member of this parish) so I have up to around 7k for them .
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    I think you'll struggle to beat a pair of 12" dc's in a custom cab with bespoke x-over. 4K should get that

Totally agree. I've heard the Stirlings and while they weren't bad a good pair of 12in HPDs in a proper cabinet beat them easily. Kensingtons are better (and should be available £4-5kis second hand) but again the HPDs are better.

Happy to talk on the phone Adey if you are serious about going down the Tannoy route I have had Tannoys of some description for the last 30 years and Golds/HPDs for most of the last decade.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Whizzers are usually stiffer and have a stiffer connection to the voice coil. They start lower down than you might think..probably 3khz or so depending and kinda can take over past 7khz. They can buzz like buggery too. Ive got 2 sets and the smaller fane ones are fairly good actually. The big 12" ones needed a little mod.lol. The difference in stiffness i think is what produces the crossover. Prefer a better, lower power driver personally..you can alway bang a tweeter in if you want extra highs.
    Ive recently added a small set of actives to mine and feed them together from the pre. Might sound odd but it sounds great as the actives take a rca sub too. Once the levels are adjusted right they blend seemlessly
    Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking to know..
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Peter.

In a similar vein, here's something that impressed me at Munich this year. Easily bettered the (low spec) AN Es I used to have ... http://www.heco-audio.de/en/loudspea...irekt-einklang

I'm Adrian.

I've read about them somewhere - good opinions.

What is the difference between alnico and ferrite magnets anyway?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

Claims are made as to differing magnet materials having different 'characters' in sound presentation. The main materials being Ceramic Ferrite, Alnico (aluminium/nickel/cobalt alloy) and Neodimium. There are other types but they are not common. Personally, I think that if a speaker's magnetic circuit is designed properly there should be nothing in it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I would say that a highly engineered handmade multi-layered speaker cabinet was pretty important. The cost reflects the hours of effort put into making the speaker. My Omegas (custom made Alnico units) are comparable in quality to my Magneplanar 1.7s albeit with different strengths. One strength is their high efficiency which makes them a perfect match for valve amps. My Omegas are used in a vinyl only system on the end of a modified Linn LP12, EAR 834P, and Art Audio Quintet power amp running in triode mode (15w per channel). They sound awesome and easily displaced my Rogers LS35a speakers which frankly sound poor in comparison.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well, for a single driver speaker you need to have a good quality driver. In fact the driver needs to be amazingly good if the speaker is to be even remotely hi-fidelity. The advantages of using Alnico in the magnets are at best doubtful and at worst just marketing. Beautifully finished cabs (which I agree, they are) won't make any difference to how the speaker will sound but they do cost a lot, and if sound quality is a priority and the budget is not unlimited it makes no senses to me to pay for such wonders unless I am primarily buying an item of furniture first and a loudspeaker second.

In other words I'm not suggesting the speakers are expensive compared to the build cost. If I thought they were a rip-off I would just say so. I'm saying they are expensive because money has been spent on stuff that doesn't matter to their primary purpose.

I'm Geoff.

I too am generally suspicious about the claims for rare materials mined from the trails of comets or forged in the fires of middle earth. However having heard the difference between the standard Omega drivers (which are already very good) and the Alnico drivers, the difference was clear. The Alnicos had that valve like mid range presence and weight and more immediacy. I am not claiming that Alnicos per se are necessarily better than other driver materials, only that the Omega Alnico drivers are pretty special and not that much more expensive than the standard units. That is why I choose the Alnicos for my second pair of Omega speakers. They just sounded better than anything else I had heard at or anywhere near their price.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Claims are made as to differing magnet materials having different 'characters' in sound presentation. The main materials being Ceramic Ferrite, Alnico (aluminium/nickel/cobalt alloy) and Neodimium. There are other types but they are not common. Personally, I think that if a speaker's magnetic circuit is designed properly there should be nothing in it.

I'm Adrian.

God it would be nice to sit down and listen to both Tannoy and the Omegas - impossible. My instincts say either would be right in their own way. Hmmm
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps