+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable plastic cover

I'm Alex.

Question Turntable plastic cover

My turntable comes with the plastic cover. Great concept for keeping dust particles away from the spinning record.

However, some claim that this cover serves as a microphone, amplifying certain frequencies produced by the speakers (typically, lower frequencies). The frequencies thus amplified by the plastic cover affect the tonearm, cartridge body and the stylus, and interfere with the accurate tracking of the record grooves.

So my question is: keep the plastic cover on while playing records, or get rid of it and accept the fact that the dust will collect in the grooves during playback?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    My turntable comes with the plastic cover. Great concept for keeping dust particles away from the spinning record.

However, some claim that this cover serves as a microphone, amplifying certain frequencies produced by the speakers (typically, lower frequencies). The frequencies thus amplified by the plastic cover affect the tonearm, cartridge body and the stylus, and interfere with the accurate tracking of the record grooves.

So my question is: keep the plastic cover on while playing records, or get rid of it and accept the fact that the dust will collect in the grooves during playback?
    Lift the cover off when playing tunes, you dont need it on.
    Airborne vibration and any vibration the cover / lid picks up feeds through to the deck itself and is picked up by the arm, cart, stylus etc and then amplified with the music - not ideal for quality replay

I'm Phil.

I do tend to take mine off when playing, unless there are kids around. Can't say I have heard much difference between on/off though.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

On when not in use, off when playing a record.
    Barry

I'm Anto.

I am too idle to take mine off each time I use it. It may only lead to some damage at some point too ,taking it on and off , I fear!!

Plus one - in that I hear no difference in on or off, but there again I am a Philistine
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Russell.

That's what matters, what do you hear? Play the same record with and without it. If you hear no difference then don't worry about it. Theory only goes so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

For my LP12 I am currently using it with lid on but raised but for a very long period I was forced to take it off because the previous hinges would no longer allow it to stay in position. Like others here I don't perceive any differences sonically in use that bother me.

For my Heybrook TT2 (currently my best sounding deck) I have the lid off for practical reasons. The deck is on a table and insufficient space above the deck to operate the lid. This does mean dust can be a problem.

For my other decks (purchased second hand) most have dust covers but some don't. If they come with a dust cover then I leave it on provided the hinges are in working order.

I'm Mike.

Good post Alex, i'm with most others here in that I can't really tell any difference

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Grant.

As much as i always take lid off if possible, the makers like Thorens as an example made decent decks with hinged lids, obviously for it to be kept on so i would imagine its not likely to make a lot of difference. I prefer lift off lids personally
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Good post Alex, i'm with most others here in that I can't really tell any difference
    Did a quick side-by-side comparison last night (same song with lid on, then lid off); I think I detect a bit leaner sound with lid off, but nothing majorly significant.

Warrants further research...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast