+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miyajima cartridge - re-cantilevered in bamboo! Lots of mono fun

I'm Peter.

Yes, makes sense, I suppose ... like the early SME 3009 having foam in the arm-tube.
    Anyway, glad you found out before my compulsive garden cane whittling caused premature blindness

Quick question ... with your mono cartridges, do you play them through standard stereo settings, or do you need to press the 'mono' button on the pre-amp?

I'm Tom.

Default Miyajima cartridge - re-cantilevered in bamboo! Lots of mono fun

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Yes, makes sense, I suppose ... like the early SME 3009 having foam in the arm-tube.
    Anyway, glad you found out before my compulsive garden cane whittling caused premature blindness

Quick question ... with your mono cartridges, do you play them through standard stereo settings, or do you need to press the 'mono' button on the pre-amp?
    With some phono stages you get a very slight ground hum with a single coil mono cartridge like the Miyajimas if you wire it up as normal using the four pins, so I used to get into the habit of pressing the mono button. I haven't noticed any hum with the 912 but when I remember I still do it anyway out of habit.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 18-08-2017 at 18:17.
    Speakers - 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys with custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Preamp - EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII with Ikeda IT345-CR1 and Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges: Miyajima Madake, Zero Mono 0.7 and Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with bamboo cantilever, Ortofon SPU Royal N and Shure M3D with Jico stylus; phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport.

'Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang der ist ein Narr sein Leben lang.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12