+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Prestige Stirling Gold Reference Opinions

I'm Adrian.

Default Tannoy Prestige Stirling Gold Reference Opinions

Hi guys - September is almost here and I'll finally be able to order some new speakers to replace the ANe's in the main set-up.

I'm drawn towards dual concentric and have 2 on my shortlist.

1. Omega High Output Alnico Monitors. Well reviewed and possibly my first choice.

2. Tannoy Prestige Stirling Gold Reference. This option I know very little about and can't find many reviews of this particular model. I know some guys here are Tannoy fans and wondered if anyone had an opinion on them?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Hi guys - September is almost here and I'll finally be able to order some new speakers to replace the ANe's in the main set-up.
    Interesting opener, Adrian! What is it about September that opens up the possibility of new speakers? Is it that you are trying to ration yourself, so you make yourself wait? Anyway, brave fellow to swap out some AN-Es.

On the main question you raise, I'm afraid I can't help much. I first heard dual concentrics about twenty years ago. They belonged to a fellow who had repaired a Leak Stereo 20 amp for me and he used them to give it a trial run when the job was completed. The speakers were 15" Golds in Lancaster cabinets, if I remember correctly, and the album he used was Ricky Lee Jones' first album. It sounded terrific, I thought: big, easy, effortless and detailed. Mellow as well. So good I never forgot that sound and many years later I bought some IIILZs for a second system. Not the same thing, I know, but they have many virtues and I enjoyed them a lot. In fact I imagined they were about the best sound you would be able to get out of a twin-driver cabinet of those dimensions - until I found they were not ...

I now know there are designs that sound better in some way or other - probably several in fact - including the speakers I replaced them with, which are AN-Js (!). So that doesn't help much, does it? Good luck!
    IB

I'm Adrian.

I own a private English school in Spain and September is the beginning of new term after summer break.

Yes - I'm a little worried about swapping out the ANe's - especially with 800£ of silver rewiring - but they are looking in the tooth and I'm looking for something without the need for crossover (tannoys have them I know - there omegas no).

Ideally I'd like to try electrostatics but I just don't have the space!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

Don't know the Omegas, but I started out with Tannoys 45 years ago. IIILZ to be exact, had three pairs, but moved up to various other larger models, Then downsized to Eatons, which I used for over twenty years. Had five pairs. Using renovated Cheviot 2 now, they sound glorious. Had many other makes and models, but Tannoys just sound right to me.

Try and get a demo. That should help. Is there much of a Hi-Fi trade in Spain?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Not really - there are a few shops but only in Barcelona Valencia Madrid and they're aimed at oligarchs lol. On line most are scam artists. Hence I buy from UK - after brexit it will have to be Germany.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Grant.

after a lot of pushing and shoving, trade will likely continue as normal-ish
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

The various Stirling models use the Tulip Waveguide, dual magnet drive unit. This can sound very good, but to my ears, just loses out on the ultimate transparency and immediacy of the single magnet 'pepperpot' types. The Kensingtons use this type of drive unit. The history of which goes back to the nineteen thirties. It's THE classic dual concentric and has never been bettered in my view. Which is why even ancient Tannoys of this type are still very sought after.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

That's something I read about and what puts me off. I'd prefer to have second to the top - but that's very big money. The Omegas have received unanimous praise, like the tannoys are hand built, but don't use any crossover. I have a feeling going the tannoy route is a journey of discovery and bankrupcy jajaj.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Martin.

I'm not keen on either. The Tannoys are the model below the Turnberry, which are not bad but don't have all the qualities of the 12 or 15 inch speakers. I thought they were rather unimpressive for the price.

The Omegas are not dual concentric, they use a full range driver with whizzer cone and the same driver without whizzer to do bass from 200hz down with just an inductor to roll of the HF. They are massively expensive for what they are in terms of actual sound-making materials (yes, they look beautiful but so what?).

For the money you could get some properly sorted vintage 12 or15 inch Tannoys. Yes, you would have to drive to UK or pay someone to deliver them, but that isn't impossible. It would be worth the extra effort involved IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

I agree with you about the Omegas to a point - but I was thinking of the SAM monitors which use only one alnico driver with whizzer cone and no crossover at all (according to Omega). I was toying with the high output dual driver jobbie but people have expressed a preference for the single driver so that's the route I'd go.

I don't think $2k is so much for alnico drivers (compared to AN alnico drivers, 2 of which which cost more than built and ready to go Omegas) housed in beautiful hand built enclosures.

I'm looking for transparency, imaging, soundstage, hence point source route. If I had the space I'd definately be going the electrostatic route but unless I change house I'm limited.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps