+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tron Convergence MC Phonostage auditioned

I'm Deleted.

I'm not aware of one - will look into it.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    That's what I'm hoping!

Edit: Apparently there may be an LFD phono stage with the same technology.
    Oh. Does that scupper things ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Oh. Does that scupper things ?

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm not aware of one - will look into it.

The designer of The PIP is Owen Jones who studied/worked with Professor Hawksford of Essex University one of who's theories is "Low Fuzzy Distortion" LFD...
    I believe LFD is a commercial offshoot of Hawksfords with another guy... (Bewley rings a bell?). The PIP had rave reviews at the time and I reckon it is not much of a presumption that the top LFD phono stages will probably use the same technique...

It scuppers nothing at all! Transconductance amplification is hardly new (though very rarely used in audio) and I can prove that I independently "invented" a transconductance RIAA stage 20 years ago

I have a power amp designed as well that uses the technique to provide the low distortion gain for a zero feedback class A jobby... Vapourware of course
    Hey if someone wants to say "I'll buy the first one" I'll start making it exist
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

The designer of The PIP is Owen Jones who studied/worked with Professor Hawksford of Essex University one of who's theories is "Low Fuzzy Distortion" LFD...
    I believe LFD is a commercial offshoot of Hawksfords with another guy... (Bewley rings a bell?). The PIP had rave reviews at the time and I reckon it is not much of a presumption that the top LFD phono stages will probably use the same technique...

It scuppers nothing at all! Transconductance amplification is hardly new (though very rarely used in audio) and I can prove that I independently "invented" a transconductance RIAA stage 20 years ago

I have a power amp designed as well that uses the technique to provide the low distortion gain for a zero feedback class A jobby... Vapourware of course
    Hey if someone wants to say "I'll buy the first one" I'll start making it exist
    Haha, matey, if money was no object, I'd fund that venture !

I'm Deleted.

I've found the Silbatone C-100 which uses transconductance circuitry. The most recent price for that I can see is €70,000.00. I can't seem to find any mention of LFD using the technique, though information on LFD isn't easy to find full stop.
    Account Deleted

montesquieu Guest

As I mentioned elsewhere the other day I am planning on making an MC only phono stage which uses the same operating principle as the Paradise... which operates in a completely different manner to all other phono stages other than the Pink Triangle "PIP" (to the best of my knowledge no other units using the principle exist anyway). I also independently "invented" the same thing about 20 years ago and built and sold several very good phono stages which are still in use today using the idea.
    It is already designed at computer simulation level and sim results look very good. I intend that it will be a two box unit at around £800-£1000 starting price. All circuitry is of my own design and this is not intended to be a "Paradise clone" but a design in it's own right which uses the same operating principle as the Paradise and Pink Triangle PIP.
    Please put me in the queue to hear this Jez. This sounds very interesting.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I've found the Silbatone C-100 which uses transconductance circuitry. The most recent price for that I can see is €70,000.00. I can't seem to find any mention of LFD using the technique, though information on LFD isn't easy to find full stop.
    A possible 3 commercial units then... One made in small quantities, many of which ceased to function it seems, by a no longer trading company donkeys ago... a possible unit from LFD.... and one more which I've never heard of at HOW MUCH!!?? Does it have solid gold casework?

Room for another one then

Oh and did I mention that I've come up with a new technique for servoing the input stage biasing (yeah that's vague.. and all yer going to get) which means I can get rid of all the electrolytic caps in the Paradise? The computer says it works a dream 'n all. Will it work in practice? I'll find out when I make one but I can't think of any reason why not.... famous last words

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

Brilliant Jez, give it a good servoing

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Brilliant Jez, give it a good servoing
    It's not an actual word, true enough, but I like it.

Edit: Looked it up and there is such a word

Bigman80 Guest

A possible 3 commercial units then... One made in small quantities, many of which ceased to function it seems, by a no longer trading company donkeys ago... a possible unit from LFD.... and one more which I've never heard of at HOW MUCH!!?? Does it have solid gold casework?

Room for another one then

Oh and did I mention that I've come up with a new technique for servoing the input stage biasing (yeah that's vague.. and all yer going to get) which means I can get rid of all the electrolytic caps in the Paradise? The computer says it works a dream 'n all. Will it work in practice? I'll find out when I make one but I can't think of any reason why not.... famous last words
    Lol. You seem to be inspired Jez!!! I like it.

Start a thread. I'll be following intently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast