+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myst TMA3 problem

I'm Dick.

Default Myst TMA3 problem

Hello folks, I've been pointed to this specific forum by someone on a hifianswers forum.

I do a day a week at a charity warehouse and apart from moving wardrobes and sofas I also test some of their electrical items (like usb keyboards) to see if they are working (they then get PAT tested if needed).

Last week a Myst TMA3 arrived and although I hadn't heard of it before it looked as if it was some sort of vintage audiophile amp and that I ought to check it out .

A quick search revealed a few on sale for upwards of 200 quid which would be a good result for the charity if they could get anywhere near that.

I've tried to test it at home but although the speaker connections are working (there is a hum when I turn up the volume) I'm struggling to get anything to play through it.

I've tried a CD and I can just about hear the music but it's barely audible. It's the same on the tuner and tape setting (I can't check the phono as I don't want to dismantle my home set up!). I'm using an old din lead that's been sitting in my cable box (for decades I would think!) but have ordered a new one just in case it's that.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dick

I'm Geoff.

Dick. I've moved this from the Arkless Electronics thread, which is trade and for business enquiries.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Alan 'firebottle' is the man for this.
    He fixed up a Myst amp that I bought and was faulty.

I'm Jez.

As the OP was erroneously put in my trade section in the first place I'll say I can of course repair this no problem if it proves to be defective.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

My first guess is that the DIN lead is connected to the wrong pins, assuming it is a 5 pin DIN.

Often the 'input' pins turn out to be output or back to front as it were. The new lead may cure this.

Alan

I'm Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    My first guess is that the DIN lead is connected to the wrong pins, assuming it is a 5 pin DIN.

Often the 'input' pins turn out to be output or back to front as it were. The new lead may cure this.

Alan
    Thanks Alan, it looks as if that is indeed the case.

The new din cable I ordered arrived today and it is working! I haven't tested the phono but all other inputs are good.

It's an interesting sound. Very clear with a very flat response. A pity I don't need another amp as I'd be tempted to buy it myself!

Nonetheless the charity will be very pleased.

Many thanks to everyone for their input, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Dick

I'm Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    As the OP was erroneously put in my trade section in the first place I'll say I can of course repair this no problem if it proves to be defective.
    Thanks for the offer. If we get anything else of an audiophile nature (rare but it does it happen) I will bear you in mind.

Cheers

Dick

I'm Geoff.

Assuming the charity is agreeable, there's nothing to stop you advertising the Myst here Dick. The Private Exhibitions section is for 'sales & wants' and is free. I'd imagine there may be some interest in it if it's in decent condition.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Assuming the charity is agreeable, there's nothing to stop you advertising the Myst here Dick. The Private Exhibitions section is for 'sales & wants' and is free. I'd imagine there may be some interest in it if it's in decent condition.
    Thanks I'll bear that in mind. It may be some time as we can't sell anything unless it's been PAT tested and the guy who used to do the PAT testing left and they now have a backlog of equipment. I'm only a volunteer but I've put myself forward for the PAT training and hopefully it won't be too long before they sort it out.

The unit is in pretty good condition. Any guesses for what we could reasonably ask?

Cheers

Dick

I'm Geoff.

I'm not really sure, but my guess would be between £150 and £200. Others may have a better idea. It's not a common item, so I suspect it's anybody's guess to an extent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast