+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm here for some help

I'm Dick.

Default I'm here for some help

Hello folks, I've been pointed in this direction by someone on a hifianswers forum.

He pointed me at the Arkless Electronics forum specifically but if I outline my problem here maybe someone can help before I post there.

I do a day a week at a charity warehouse and apart from moving wardrobes and sofas I also test some of their electrical items (like usb keyboards) to see if they are working (they then get PAT tested if needed).

Last week a Myst TMA3 arrived and although I hadn't heard of it before it looked as if it was some sort of vintage audiophile amp and that I ought to check it out .

A quick search revealed a few on sale for upwards of 200 quid which would be a good result for the charity if they could get anywhere near that.

I've tried to test it at home but although the speaker connections are working (there is a hum when I turn up the volume) I'm struggling to get anything to play through it.

I've tried a CD and I can just about hear the music but it's barely audible. It's the same on the tuner and tape setting (I can't check the phono as I don't want to dismantle my home set up!). I'm using an old din lead that's been sitting in my cable box (for decades I would think!) but have ordered a new one just in case it's that.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dick

I'm Geoff.

Hello Dick. Welcome to AOS.

I've no experience of Myst amps, but they do have a few fans here. They were well respected in their time and are definitely something of a classic and a collector's item.

I'm sure somebody can give you an educated opinion, but the best way to get one may be to start a thread in the 'Past Masters' section with your questions.

Here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...5-Past-Masters

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Very likely your DIN lead is the problem and it is wired wrongly for the input - in theory it shouldn't work at all but in reality there is a thing called breakthrough and you get a low level bleed of what should be there with a load of residual noise - which is exactly as you describe.
    Account Deleted

I'm Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Very likely your DIN lead is the problem and it is wired wrongly for the input - in theory it shouldn't work at all but in reality there is a thing called breakthrough and you get a low level bleed of what should be there with a load of residual noise - which is exactly as you describe.
    Thanks, that appears to be the problem.

The new din lead I ordered arrived today and now all is working!

Many thanks

Dick

I'm Deleted.

Jolly good .
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Good spot that, Mark.

And welcome to the forum Dick. Good result for you there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm jamie.

hi dick,glad you got it sorted,what charity warehouse are you from? shabitat or martlets?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread