+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The end of the (upgrade) road?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Brian.

Nice one Kevin , what a great place to be Don't be a stranger mate , your opinions and observations are valued on the forum
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Colin.

Default Something to temp you?

QUOTE=CageyH;887632]Having added a second set of Taket Batpure supertweeters to my system, and having tweaked my VTA slightly, I feel that my HiFi journey is now on the finishing straight, getting close to the end. It is nearing the time to sit back and enjoy what I have and listen to more music. Realistically speaking it is going to take some serious cash (or lucky purchases) to improve on what I have. Yes, there are still the "I wonder" moments where I fancy trying something else, only to find it is no better, just different. The only thing still niggling away at me is the speakers. The Electric Beach FH3s are very good, but sometimes I feel myself wanting a bit more slam/depth (did someone mention Edingdales?).

Hi Kevin,
    Though the FH3 are excellent speakers (I should know as I have built several pairs for folk using various Fostex and Mark Audio drivers including a couple of pairs for myself) they do have there limits. To whet your appetite Below is a photo of my prototype MKII Edingdales that are now my official demo speakers. I am currently building a pair the Edingdale MKII speakers for a couple up in Tyne and Wear. These will be finished in Oak veneer. The demo pair in the photo below are skinned in a rather expensive Tamo Ash veneer.

Next you are in the UK you are most welcome to pop over to Topps' Towers for a review of the speakers. We can accommodate a sleepover to ease travel arrangements and my wife's hospitality is second to non. However beware. We do have quite a new range of speakers that might temp you? There is the new Headley range of small 2-way stand mount speakers that are a similar size in height to the FH3 but offer better low frequency response. These were the result of an initial bespoke request from a guy in the Cambridge area. The client wanted a small 2-way speaker and is a great fan of the ProAc range but his budget wouldn't stretch to the price of these fine sounding speakers and so his brief was can we design a ProAc inspired speaker within his quoted budget and with a downward firing port? The result was these:

We have expanded the range to include an all SEAS driver version and an all SB Acoustics Satori driver version. These are more WAF friendly but don't have the same slam as the Edingdales. Here is what the guy had to say about the originals we built for him:
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/v...art=15#p147351

Look forward to meeting up with you.
    Regards Colin

+ Reply to Thread