+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speak up! Why some TV dialogue is so hard to understand

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Tape commercial telly...
    Tape? What is this tape of which you speak?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Tape? What is this tape of which you speak?
    A figure of speech for a hard disk recorder.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I like to pepper my speech with anachronisms. Confuses the youngsters
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

It confuses the rest of us, never mind the youngsters

I'm Geoff.

Don't like youngsters. I know what they're like, I used to be one!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

What you say is contrary to my experience Andrew, and surely the loss of presence and top are a real problem with speech intelligibility, on which it depends.

This evening, as is the case so often, a lavalier was under a guy's chin on his crewe neck, probably getting proximity boost as well as the loss described, and not bothering to use the other side of a jacket to ensure that the mic is up rather than down is pure laziness.

When I mixed radio programmes I was criticised for even a small angle off axis, and very little of what is churned out now would have been acceptable then.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    What you say is contrary to my experience Andrew, and surely the loss of presence and top are a real problem with speech intelligibility, on which it depends.

This evening, as is the case so often, a lavalier was under a guy's chin on his crewe neck, probably getting proximity boost as well as the loss described, and not bothering to use the other side of a jacket to ensure that the mic is up rather than down is pure laziness.

When I mixed radio programmes I was criticised for even a small angle off axis, and very little of what is churned out now would have been acceptable then.
    Yes, I agree, the mic has to be used competently to get good results. I only meant that the microphones themselves are not poor devices imho and although the term "electret" has some bad connotations I have found them to be excellent in terms of sound quality, though the signal-to-noise ratio isn't up there with the best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123